The Katana: Rough Waters On The Horizon
Friday’s post entitled, “The People Asked To Get ROCKED And A Boulder Fell On Their Heads” wasn’t supposed to go up. I’m trying to limit the amount of big government love related posts, but “every time I try and get out, they pull me back in”! Let the record show that I’m not against Democrats, I’m just disappointed in the system. I do apologize to readers for the John Edwards of the world though. At least politicians make life a little less boring.
The Samurai Fund is down 2.7% YTD, which compares favorably to the S&P 500 down 3.7% YTD. Still, losing money is disappointing and I wonder if we have to change our outlook and investments given the anti-capitalism rhetoric by the government. Should we raise cash? Sell some of the winners? Need some thoughts from the contributors and readers in general who have investments in the markets.
Perhaps now is the best time to open up the fund to 2 or 3 new entrants given the declines. I will need help from someone to do a screen shot each week, because my 12″ monitor on my rocking 5 year old iBook G4 can only fit 17 entries!
The Freedom Fund continues to chug along slowly, with a $2,000 increase for January. Nothing special, just savings from cash flow.
VIDEOS AND POSTS OF THE WEEK
* Conan’s speech was very moving and tells us never to be cynical, take care of the people who brought you here, and appreciate what you have.
* “Blogging For Money” on Monevator is an older post that captures a very cynical view on making money on-line. It’s a good wake up call for all of us, but don’t let the pessimism get you down. Join and succeed in Samurai’s Alexa Challenge, and you will flourish.
* “Your Mind And Your Money” is a series of posts by Roger, The Amateur Financier. Really good effort to discuss the mental aspects of finance Roger.
* David over at Money Ning highlights a video about what to do just in case your gas accelerator gets stuck in response to Toyota’s (-8.5% YTD) massive recall. Unfortunately, The Samurai Fund is a shareholder. Key points: Don’t panic, press your brakes hard, put in neutral, turn off the car.
* “Make Money Freelance Writing” is a guest post on PT Money by Debbie Dragon (yes, real name). The money making potential is impressive, as well as the revelation that there is a blogger out there who bought 600 articles to put on his/her blog!
* “The Samurai Alexa Challenge” on Sweating The Big Stuff is a great initiative by Daniel-san to aggregate the participants from the original post. Daniel-san will hopefully add some new tweaks, because the competition is not between us, but a challenge for ourselves. The goal is for us to collaborate and help each other out. Anybody who would like to join the challenge, please say so in the original post with your rank and send Daniel-san an e-mail.
Sam @ Financial Samurai – “Slicing Through Money’s Mysteries”
Follow on Twitter @FinancialSamura and subscribe to our RSS or E-mail feed.
[ad#Scottrade Invest Refund Button]