Someone once said, “nothing is certain except pressing the reply all button by mistake and taxes.” How true the saying as we face rising taxes under the new administration. Supposedly 32% of Americans filers pay ZERO TAXES! I doubt this statistic sits well with the other 68% of files who pay taxes. I also doubt the percentage of non-tax payers could be that high, but either way, even 15% is a lot. The good thing for high income earnings is that the highest marginal tax rate has come down by almost half since the 70′s. Furthermore, generally if you are paying no taxes, your adjusted gross income is less than $8,350 as a single, or $16,700 as a married couple. Wouldn’t you rather make more money and pay taxes than make little money and pay nothing?
Given we don’t blog for a living, and several readers asked me this afternoon “whether I think higher taxes lead to Socialism in America, Yes or No only”, my answer and thesis is therefore: “Yes, higher taxes do lead to socialism in America.”