What Would You Do
  • I'm seeking advice from some of you have more career experience than me. I recently graduated and started a career as a Business Intelligence Developer (in July). I was hired on well below the median salary for my job (~$15k less). In January I received a prorated (to 6 months) raise of $1,000, with the promise of another raise in July. Now that it is July I have been told that the company decided not to do mid-year raises when they finalized the budget.

What this means is that I will have to wait until January again to receive another raise. I will have had only one $1,100 raise during 18 months of employment. Seeing as I am doing the same job as other team members (and actually taking on more projects than any of them), I feel very slighted by my lower pay. To add additional information this job is far from my home, does not utilize my full set of skills, and is with a company I do not align with personality wise.

Do I:

A) Stick it out at the job until I get a raise in January, then look for a new job using the new salary base.

B) Start looking for jobs closer to home (of which there should be plenty) immediately.

C) Stick it out at the current job for 3-5 years so as not to be viewed as a "job-hopper".

D) Do something else I haven't considered.

I appreciate your collective wisdom.
  • Given the several reasons why this job doesn't seem to be a good fit, I'd ask why you took the job in the first place? If there were compelling reasons to do so (and I would assume so, if you took the job for less salary than you feel you deserved), are they no longer valid?

I'm not sure if your feelings of being slighted are valid, since there's no information of whether the people you feel you are outperforming are paid less, more, or the same, and have less, more, or the same amount of experience as you.

As a hiring manager I wouldn't be too concerned about someone leaving a job after 12-18 months if it's not a good fit, but if done more than once, then it might be a concern (depending on a number of factors). So if you do, it may be worthwhile to ensure the next position is a good fit.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion