It’s been just over a month since the Samurai Alexa Ranking Challenge was announced, and I’m pleased to report we’ve made tremendous progress! With 35+ members strong, we are actively helping each other achieve our respective goals. I’d like to use this opportunity to recognize several Yakezie members for their achievements and initiatives in helping the team.
* Daniel-San from Sweating The Big Stuff took the initiative to compile the list and keep track. His efforts have in turn created a home for us members to visit once a week and get pumped.
* @Elle_CM from Couple Money has been amazingly selfless in retweeting my posts and many other posts. She is exactly the type of member the Yakezie Group seeks. @FinEngr created a Yakezie Twitter Group to keep track of us and follow. Pls follow so the group can follow you back.
* Monevator, The Amateur Financier, Evolution Of Wealth created weekly wraps to specifically highlight posts from the Yakezie Group. Meanwhile, Money Funk wrote a derivative post on how to increase your Alexa ranking.
* Eliminate The Muda and Planting Dollars have busted through their 200,000 goal and should obviously now shoot for top 100,000!
THE RULES HAVE CHANGED AND WE WILL ADAPT
At some point over the past several weeks, all of us got dinged by 2 spots on Wise Bread’s Top 100 PF list because of the addition of two new blogs in the #1 and #2 spots. Congrats to those two blogs for being able to piggy back off their respective major platforms, the Atlanta Journal and The Star Tribune of Minneapolis and rocket straight to the top.
I liken the scenario to a situation at work where you struggle for a long period of time to get promoted, only to find out your manager hires someone laterally or from outside the firm to fill the spot! Others have mentioned it’s like some who get into prestigious schools simply due to their connections, while the rest of us just make due with what we have. Guess what team? Life isn’t fair, and Wise Bread can do whatever they want. We are not going to complain. We will simply try harder!
It’s important to realize that in 5 months, to get on Wise Bread’s first page, reaching 200,000 will no longer be enough. The 100th ranked blog will probably be ranked around 165,000 by then. Furthermore, Wise Bread might start adding other piggy back blogs from major publications which will impede our progress further. Once again, we must do as much as we can to help each other out. Never surrender!
* Guest Posting UP: I ask that all those in the Top 100,000 allow others who are outside the Top 200,000 to guest post if they want to. There is a mutual benefit to guest posting where the guest writer gets to reach out to the host’s readers, while getting a link back to their own site. Meanwhile, the host blog receives content. The guest writer really benefits most, because many of the bigger sites already have a ton of content in the pipeline already. The host blog will actively promote the guest post on Twitter and elsewhere.
* A Playful Dance: One of the great ways to get to know each other better is to write a post in response to a post from one of your members. You see Ryan and Planting Dollars and Wojo at Fiscal Fizzle plays this out with the topic on “Is There Really Such Thing As Passive Income”. That exchange has created a fantastic amount of insight for the readers, and I’m sure Ryan and Wojo’s relationship is better because of it.
* Carnival: Another major initiative is to create an ongoing Samurai Alexa Challenge Carnival each week or two. We are small enough where we can highlight a post from each challenger, thereby helping promote their content, while promoting yourself since everybody will visit your site and read your content as well. You don’t have to highlight a post from every site, however, please do your best to highlight as many as possible. Just check out the comments at Evolution of Wealth’s Rodeo. We’ve already got three lined up!
* Ranking Host Rotation: Daniel-san has benefited by keeping track of the group’s progress, as he should. What we are proposing is to allow a new member to host and update the rankings for every month of the challenge. I think we should discuss this proposal below, and get an idea of whether people like this idea, and would want to host the ranking as well. With two things in motion (weekly wrap and ranking), we can share the wealth further. Or, we can keep the ranking at Daniel-San’s site since it’s already there. The host’s duty is to obviously update the rankings, check back on the original challenge post to see if new members would like to join, and add, while highlighting any big changes.
* A New Go To Ranking: Finally, at the end of the 5 month period, I plan to either bring the ranking back home to Financial Samurai or let the ranking float forever once a month. The plan is to morph Samurai’s Alexa Ranking Challenge into the go to personal finance ranking page which will purely consist of individually run personal finance blogs that do not piggy back off other major publications. We will create a entirely apples-to-apples comparison of the best PF sites in the world. If anybody has any programming skills to create a page where entries will be automatically updated, please let me know. When the rules change on us, we have the power to make our own rules!
THE CHALLENGE IS FOR EVERYONE
You may think this challenge is just dedicated to a community of bloggers. In reality, the Samurai Alexa Ranking Challenge is a case study on how to improve all our lives, readers and writers alike! Our personal real-life goals can range from finding love to early retirement. What we want to show is that through the selfless promotion of others, continuous teamwork, and an unwavering commitment, we will succeed despite setbacks. This is The Yakezie Way.
** Update Feb 25th: The Atlanta Journal and Star Tribune blogs which took up the top 2 spaces in WB’s rankings are no longer there. Maybe this post made a different, maybe not. Regardless, this is a positive for all of us, and should serve as a reminder that the rules can and will change. We need to continue being diligent in our efforts.
START A MONEY MAKING BLOG TODAY
It’s been six years since I started Financial Samurai and I’m actually earning a good multiple six figure income stream online now. The top 1% of all posts on Financial Samurai generates 31% of all traffic, which makes much of my online earnings highly passive.
I never thought I’d be able to quit my job in 2012 just three years after starting Financial Samurai. But by starting one financial crisis day in 2009, Financial Samurai actually makes more than my entire passive income total that took 15 years to build. If you enjoy writing, creating, connecting with people online, and enjoying more freedom in your life, see how you can set up a WordPress blog in 15 minutes with Bluehost. Hosting costs less than $5 a month.
The actions you take today help create your future. You never know where the journey will take you!
Updated on 7/13/2015