The Top 20 Party Schools In The Nation, Ranked By The Princeton Review For 2016-17:
- University of Wisconsin-Madison
- West Virginia University
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Lehigh University
- Bucknell University
- University of Iowa
- University of Mississippi
- Syracuse University
- Tulane University
- Colgate University
- University of California―Santa Barbara
- University of Delaware
- University of Rhode Island
- Wake Forest University
- College of Charleston
- University of Maine
- University of Vermont
- University of Florida
- University of Colorado―Boulder
- Florida State University
What do Penn State, Texas A&M, University of Illinois, Purdue, and Arizona State University have in common? They are considered the Top 5 best schools in the nation according to recruiters! Wall Street Journal has this unique ranking system where they essentially ask corporate recruiters to rank their best schools.
I’ve seen a lot of college surveys before, and not once have I ever seen any of these schools in the Top 5, let alone in the top 10. Let’s be honest, for the same cost, would you go to one of these schools over Harvard, Yale, Penn, MIT, Michigan, or Berkeley? Most would say “probably not,” so what gives?
Let’s have a look at why recruiters are so excited about these schools.
* Size. The average student population of the top 5 schools is around 28,000. This means that out of a class size of 7,000, there’s a higher chance of finding someone they like.
* Sports. The top 5 schools all have big time basketball and football programs. Americans are obsessed with sports, which is why every single one of you should also play and at least follow sports.
* Public. All five schools are public schools. We are in a period where it’s all about the middle class and not standing out. Anything private, that costs more than the average annual income of an American isn’t going to fly.
* Competition. It’s much easier getting into these top 5 schools with an average acceptance rate of ~50% vs. 15% for the traditionally accepted top schools. As a result, there’s a less “the world owes me” type attitude as students are more humble and eager to please their perspective employers.
* Representation. Being a recruiter isn’t exactly the hardest job in the world to land. As a result, there is a high likelihood that most of the recruiters come from the very schools they have voted to the top! We all want to take care of our own, and recruiters are no different.
Surveys are great because they can be manipulated to suit the surveyor’s beliefs. Everybody looks out for their own, and the Wall Street Journal is no different. Look into the management of the WSJ and I’m sure you’ll find one of them who is an alumni of their Top 5.
Penn State, Texas A&M, University of Illinois, Purdue, and Arizona State University are all fine schools. They just aren’t the top schools the WSJ believes them to be, otherwise they’d have the most Rhodes Scholars, Fulbright Scholars, Nobel Laureates, endowments, and so forth. Frankly, the WSJ might as well rank colleges by their proximity to the Pacific Ocean! Now that would be a great survey!
Refinance Your Student Loan With SoFi
SoFi is a fantastic social lending company that provides rates as low as 1.9% variable with auto pay and 3.5% fixed with auto pay. The reason why they can offer lower rates than the rest is because they analyze you based on merit, quality of employment, and education besides just your credit score and financials. When you just graduate or are early in your employment career, your credit score won’t be as high, thereby penalizing you from getting the best rate possible. There is zero origination and prepayment fees. Offer terms are from 5, 10, 15, 20 years in both fixed and variable. Both private and public student loans can be refinanced.
Besides low rates, one of their best features is their unemployment benefits. If you lose your job while repaying your loans, you don’t have to pay your loan for up to 12 months while you look for a new job! Interest will still accrue, but having this cash flow break is a huge benefit. They also provide job assistance guidance as well. You can apply for free to refinance or apply for a new student loan here.
Updated for 2018 and beyond. The best education is now FREE thanks to the internet. Really think hard before spending too much money on a college education. See: Public School Or Private School? Depends On Your level Of Guilt