Author Topic: Health Insurance for FIRE  (Read 9702 times)


  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 1
  • Karma: +2/-0
Health Insurance for FIRE
« on: March 02, 2019, 02:31:54 PM »
Hi all,

First of all its a pleasure following this website and everyone's contribution to the forum.

I live in NYC and employed by a corporate which offers excellent health insurance (group). I have a high deductible PPO which I consider a non compromise as I want the flexibly to be able to see any doctor in the United States (specialist). As I look to get ready to leave the industry and early 'retire' in a few years, I see there is a gap in quality health insurance coverage for those that are young (40's). The problem is that I live in NYC and the gov market only offers HMO's. I don't want to work part time in order to join another corporate group plan to have PPO access.

Does any any creative thoughts here on a solution to obtain PPO insurance? i have seen people talk about starting a very small company and contracting a PEO, part time school; can anyone offer first hand experience or ideas outside of needing to moving my residence? 



  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 2
  • Karma: +1/-0
Re: Health Insurance for FIRE
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 11:47:35 AM »
Have you tried contacting an agent?  I don’t know about New York State but in my state we went through an agent who had access to plans that weren’t on the government site.


  • Aonisaibushi (Amateur Samurai)
  • **
  • Posts: 90
  • Karma: +0/-6
Re: Health Insurance for FIRE
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 11:01:24 PM »

The best way to solve this problem is you can contact your insurance agent. Because he is the only person to know how to solve your problem.