Author Topic: Two Children Combination Preferences By Sex  (Read 2095 times)

Sam

• Shogun, Administrator
  • Always curious
Two Children Combination Preferences By Sex
« on: June 05, 2019, 03:28:13 PM »
 Random question: if you were to have two children and only two children, what would the combination of sex be in order of preference?

1) Boy / Girl
2) Girl / Girl
3) Boy / Boy

I was thinking it would be nice to have one of each, but then I was thinking it’s great to have the same sex for both children as they would have more in common and could play together for longer in their lifetimes.

What are your thoughts on it if this question or asked to 1 million people? What would the percentage breakdown be?

Sam
Regards,

Sam

Captain

• Apprentice
Re: Two Children Combination Preferences By Sex
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 06:20:00 PM »
Perhaps 70% or so would choose boy/girl to have one of each if they had the option to choose. From a parent perspective it's nice to have one of each although there are more synergies with boy/boy or girl/girl. It's funny how some families with 3+ kids end up with all boys or all girls. You just never know how things will turn out which makes it all the more an adventure.

chrismoneystir

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 02:29:03 PM »
We have two children (with no plans to have any more) and both of them are girls. They are eight and ten right now, and they spend a ton of time playing with each other.

Part of me was hoping to have one boy so I could connect on that level with one of them, but now that I have two girls, I wouldn't change a thing. My oldest daughter likes video games more than me and my youngest is into sports.

I have three full biological siblings that are girls and we are not close at all. From my end, the closer in age they are, I think the more likely they will be able to play with each other (regardless of age). But I do think the argument that having two kids with the same sex increases the chances they will have a closer bond.

Young And The Invested

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 04:42:34 AM »
We have a boy on the way right now.  When the second comes into the picture, I'm certain to want a girl.
https://youngandtheinvested.com/

Sam

• Shogun, Administrator
  • Always curious
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 05:59:05 AM »
We have a boy on the way right now.  When the second comes into the picture, I'm certain to want a girl.

Can you elaborate on what makes you so certain?
Regards,

Sam

Sam

• Shogun, Administrator
  • Always curious
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 05:59:51 AM »
We have two children (with no plans to have any more) and both of them are girls. They are eight and ten right now, and they spend a ton of time playing with each other.

Part of me was hoping to have one boy so I could connect on that level with one of them, but now that I have two girls, I wouldn't change a thing. My oldest daughter likes video games more than me and my youngest is into sports.

I have three full biological siblings that are girls and we are not close at all. From my end, the closer in age they are, I think the more likely they will be able to play with each other (regardless of age). But I do think the argument that having two kids with the same sex increases the chances they will have a closer bond.

Thanks for sharing. What is the age diff between u and your sisters?

I’ve had a couple women tell me they wish they had older brothers.
Regards,

Sam

chrismoneystir

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2019, 06:23:36 AM »
My oldest sister is 4-years younger than me. Which actually doesn't sound that bad, but we weren't very close. I could be an exception though.

Sam

• Shogun, Administrator
  • Always curious
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2019, 12:38:33 PM »
My oldest sister is 4-years younger than me. Which actually doesn't sound that bad, but we weren't very close. I could be an exception though.

I’m thinking 2-3 years is a better age gap to foster closeness given the overlap in school.
Regards,

Sam

Young And The Invested

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2019, 05:18:47 PM »

Can you elaborate on what makes you so certain?

Happy wife, happy life.  She wants a daughter badly.  In truth, I'm indifferent but want her to be happy.

Sam

• Shogun, Administrator
  • Always curious
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2019, 01:17:08 PM »
 Check out the results of a 1000+ survey here. https://www.financialsamurai.com/trophy-husbands-trophy-wives-and-now-trophy-kids-oh-my/
Regards,

Sam

Young And The Invested

• Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2019, 03:06:58 PM »
Good read.  I always appreciate the framing information for insight into why we think a certain way.  In this case, having a family of this size seems implausible absent significant financial resources in the high-cost of living area you modeled.

I think in other parts of the country with lower costs and presumably (hopefully) better public schools, you could get by with far less.  However, that wasn't the scenario you laid out in your post so it wouldn't be fair to highlight a different scenario as that's apples to oranges.

3 kids would be nice but 2 will be more likely.  I don't know if my wife wants to try for a third when she's knocking on 40.  Not only for health reasons but that would also extend the amount of time we'd need to work just to foot the costs.

hoping2retire35

• Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2019, 12:22:10 PM »
boy/ girl to experience both.

Though that is not a good answer, kids have very different personalities. We had boy/girl twins on our first try(if you can call it that-no treatments involved). We have had another since (boy). I think to maximize, or the minimal combo/amount to utilize, the experience is 4; two boys and two girls. They get to each experience a brother and sister and you can see how your offspring of even the same sex can be vastly different.

Sam

• Shogun, Administrator
  • Always curious
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2019, 09:08:17 AM »
boy/ girl to experience both.

Though that is not a good answer, kids have very different personalities. We had boy/girl twins on our first try(if you can call it that-no treatments involved). We have had another since (boy). I think to maximize, or the minimal combo/amount to utilize, the experience is 4; two boys and two girls. They get to each experience a brother and sister and you can see how your offspring of even the same sex can be vastly different.

Congrats! Sounds like the "one more year syndrome" for retirement! :)
Regards,

Sam