News:

To return to the forum homepage, please click the banner at the top of your browser.

Main Menu

Is pre-school necessary before entering kindergarten?

Started by Sam, September 13, 2018, 10:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam

Hi Folks,

I just got back from a Gymboree glass close by for my 17 month old son. We had fun, tried to play nice with other kids, and do some dexterity exercises etc.

I notice Gymboree has a pre-school too.

My question is:

1) How much do you think pre-school is necessary before going to kindergarten?
2) And does it really matter which pre-school a kid goes to so long as it is well-run and supervised?

I feel like pre-school or something like Gymboree can only help, even with stay at home parents. But it doesn't seem like paying $10,000 - $18,000 a year for one of those "prestigious" pre-schools is worth it.
Regards,

Sam

defomcduff

I wouldn't say *necessary*, but definitely *highly recommended.*  The socialization is good, they start learning stuff around age 3, 4, 5.  Plus, you get a break as a parent.

Have you looked into Montessori pre-schools?  We have a ton of success there.

Even if you don't do pre-school full-time, I'd recommend at least 2 half-days a week once FS Jr is 2-2.5 years old.

There's no single right answer here.  Do what works for you and your wife.  Just my two cents.

Quote from: Sam on September 13, 2018, 10:27:53 AM
Hi Folks,

I just got back from a Gymboree glass close by for my 17 month old son. We had fun, tried to play nice with other kids, and do some dexterity exercises etc.

I notice Gymboree has a pre-school too.

My question is:

1) How much do you think pre-school is necessary before going to kindergarten?
2) And does it really matter which pre-school a kid goes to so long as it is well-run and supervised?

I feel like pre-school or something like Gymboree can only help, even with stay at home parents. But it doesn't seem like paying $10,000 - $18,000 a year for one of those "prestigious" pre-schools is worth it.
DeForest
Boston, Massachusetts

Leigh

As long as you expose young 'Sam' to other toddlers so he can start honing his social skills, work with him on numbers, letters, sharing, computers, writing, coloring...he should be fine.

There are GREAT resources out there in the 'home school' textbook world to get workbooks for kids. I know everyone is moving to digital, but teach your child to correctly hold crayons, pencils and pens.

By the time my girls was 2.5, she was putting together 100 piece puzzles, copying all the letters of the alphabet and teaching herself the difference in a long E and a short E....mainly because she found her older brother's kindergarten books and loved working in them!

nycrite

The more I've had my 1st and 2nd in preschool, the more I've enjoyed the benefits. It's a break for the stay-at-home parent(s), and it's a way to diversify the child(ren)'s time. We are not paying anywhere close to $10K/year, and that's for two kids not one! I think the exposure to other children and preview into the regimen that school life brings is worth it. However, I don't believe preschool confers some sort of advantage to kids that attend vs those that do not. I also like the approach of starting gradual, especially if you're unsure. Start with one half day per week when s/he is two years old. Add another half day per week at three years, and so on!

romeojeremiah

I love to see a study that could give a more objective answer to your question.

From a philosophical view, does it matter?

My son attended pre-school prior to kindergarten (and in-school day care). I'd say that it was worth it in the sense that he became a better communicator at a younger age. Looking forward 16 years, however, it's difficult to assess if it made a difference. Regardless of how bright he is, he still hates school. :-)

myamnesia

It's not necessary, but I think it's a good idea more in terms of socialization than academics. I volunteered in my kid's KG class last year and saw firsthand how preschool definitely helps prepare them before entering a classroom. KG can be quite fast paced and chop chop, off the top of my head outside of learning kids are expected to be able to listen, follow instructions, play at recess, eat in a group, walk in line, go to the bathroom independently & wash hands. These all sound pretty simple, but if your kid hasn't been in these situations before they can be quite daunting. I can see how KG could be overwhelming and I think preschool gives them a good basis going in. However, to what extent it's 100% necessary depends on the kid and only you can be the judge of that!

RageCage

We live in NY and my wife is a Kindergarten teacher.  Pre-school would be highly encouraged.  This is the time of year where after a few weeks you really see the kids that were not socialized or introduced to some basic concepts.  The expectations have changed dramatically since I was in school and I cannot believe the curriculum even in Kindergarten.  Highly recommended and I would think most are OK as long as they add some sort of learning component.  "Play-Zone!" would not be a good choice....

Sam

Quote from: RageCage on September 17, 2018, 01:50:57 PM
We live in NY and my wife is a Kindergarten teacher.  Pre-school would be highly encouraged.  This is the time of year where after a few weeks you really see the kids that were not socialized or introduced to some basic concepts.  The expectations have changed dramatically since I was in school and I cannot believe the curriculum even in Kindergarten.  Highly recommended and I would think most are OK as long as they add some sort of learning component.  "Play-Zone!" would not be a good choice....

OK, thanks. But wouldn't K-3rd grade be enough to get a kid socialized more? After all, grades don't start accumulating until high school.
Regards,

Sam

Sydney

I'm a fan of preschool. I was just recollecting today about how I remember loving one particular preschool teacher I had. She was awesome. We also had a small class and got to do a lot of fun activities. There was another place I went to after that when we moved that I hated and if I had to stay there it probably wouldn't have been that good for me. So finding the right fit for your kids is important. I think preschool helped me prepare for kindergarten and I clearly remember not wanting to leave kindergarten at the end of the year because I had so much fun.