News:

To return to the forum homepage, please click the banner at the top of your browser.

Main Menu

The Current Job Market Makes it Sound like Primetime to Engineer your Layoff

Started by ForgingFinance, April 22, 2019, 10:09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForgingFinance

I work with a recruiter that helps search online platforms (mostly Linkedin) to find candidates.  He's been busier this year than any of his 25+ years recruiting.  He mentions that there is a serious lack of candidates to fill the high amount of open positions, not just regionally but nationwide. I asked if it was just our industry (engineering/consulting) and he indicated it's pretty pervasive across the white collar workforce.

Curious to hear if others are seeing this trend. If true, it's a great time to brush up that resume and Linkedin profile and see what else is out there. 

Sam

Very interesting anecdote! I've been out of the workforce for a long time, except for my high school tennis coaching job. But if that's the case, good news for my book I guess.

Before I retire a second time around, I actually want to test out the job market and see if I could get back in. And then write about the experience. It seems like we have reached maximum employment, so finding a job should be relatively easy.
Regards,

Sam

Money Ronin

I actually attended a conference today where an MBA professor/economist presented data that layoffs are at an all time low (in recent history).

My wife works for a Fortune 50 corporation with a decent and well structured severance package.  Probably not a lot of room for negotiation.  Layoffs are a regular occurrence but she's unlikely to be on the list even though she'd like to be.

Sam, how might she be able to benefit from your book?