News:

To return to the forum homepage, please click the banner at the top of your browser.

Main Menu

Welcome! Please introduce yourself

Started by Sam, August 04, 2018, 06:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam

Quote from: 1RHINO on September 14, 2018, 07:17:26 AM
Hello - I have been blessed to work for Tony Robbins the last decade and travel the world. Recently rented my home in Carlsbad CA and moved to the where the big trees are in N. AZ- literally live in a forest surrounded by huge pines, alpine lakes, skiing 30 min away, and hundreds of miles of trails for toys like side by sides, biking and hiking, night skies you have to see to believe its real. I am fortunate to be able to live where I want due to the nature of my role and just turned 55. I have never focused on buying bonds or ways to generate 5% or so income but that is the stage of life I am so hopefully I can learn specifically what to do here. I have been reading Sam's blog for a little while and love his transparency and straight talk and have encouraged my kids to read it as well. so far whats worked well for me are hard money lending, real estate crowdfunding, alternative investments like with Yieldstreet, bough a few homes I found on line cash and put a few $ in them and immediately sell only with seller financing for 7% or more with me holding the notes. Recently bought a small mobile home park, we will see how that turns out but i have an experienced property manager in place and the land is also zoned multi family in a HCOL area so someday I plan to give 190 day notice remove the trailers (I only own the land don't want the exposure to the trailers) and build some duplexes on that land.  Nice to meet you all virtually here

Cool! You'll have to share some secrets to Tony Robbin's business and life success sometime. He seems like a charitable guy.
Regards,

Sam

Sam

Quote from: Jsmith on September 14, 2018, 08:43:38 AM
Hi all, I'm excited to post here! I'm a 22 year old, fresh out of college graduate with a degree in finance. I'm always eager to hear other opinions or learn from others' experiences. I'm also a CFA level 2 candidate (which Sam might know a thing or two about), so hopefully I can finish that up within a few years time. I currently work for a fixed income asset manager, which has definitely been a huge learning experience after just a few months in.

I'm looking forward to sharing thoughts with others and getting to learn more!

Welcome! I'm impressed you're already on Level 2 right out of college. You working in finance? It's going to feel amazing to get your CFA. I never did.. but I went to Cal part-time for my MBA, which felt good after it was done.
Regards,

Sam

Jsmith

Quote from: Sam on September 14, 2018, 09:21:08 AM
Quote from: Jsmith on September 14, 2018, 08:43:38 AM
Hi all, I'm excited to post here! I'm a 22 year old, fresh out of college graduate with a degree in finance. I'm always eager to hear other opinions or learn from others' experiences. I'm also a CFA level 2 candidate (which Sam might know a thing or two about), so hopefully I can finish that up within a few years time. I currently work for a fixed income asset manager, which has definitely been a huge learning experience after just a few months in.

I'm looking forward to sharing thoughts with others and getting to learn more!

Welcome! I'm impressed you're already on Level 2 right out of college. You working in finance? It's going to feel amazing to get your CFA. I never did.. but I went to Cal part-time for my MBA, which felt good after it was done.

Thanks Sam! I was fortunate that my college offered a prep course for level 1 that I took during my senior year and was lucky pass right away... but yes I work for a fixed income manager for institutional clients that mainly focuses on pension liability management and interest rate hedging. Safe to say I've had a steep learning curve but am fortunate to be learning brand new things every day, which will be exciting for my career going forward.

CallieSF

Hi Sam! Fantastic articles over the years and life-changing insights. Thank You! Been out of the rat race for 2 years now after negotiating my layoff. Looking forward to sharing strategies and stories with the community and reading more from FS!

HealthisWealth

Hi All,
Thx Sam for creating this blog. I've been reading your blog for the past two years.
I'm a 29yr old SF Sunset district native, married w/ no kids.
My passive income is Real estate. Looking forward to learning more and discussing local topics with everyone.

keithforkin

Good evening everyone,

Thank you Sam for taking the time to create this forum and for all of your insightful articles and posts.  I am super stoked to be a part of this new ecosystem and look forward to learning from each of you. 

I am an accountant and attorney who retired last year from the Marine Corps.  We have four children ranging in age from 9-15.  I also run a small technology consulting firm out of Wilmington, North Carolina.  As we speak, the last bands of rain from Hurricane Florence are passing over us.  Florence has been a timely reminder of how important it is to be thankful for what we have earned and to enjoy life. 

Have a great weekend. 

Keith

axsion

Hello Sam,
my name is Frederic Bergeron. I have been a very interested reader for several years now. I'm also a financial blog owner (www.LeDividende.com - french blog) where I share my experience with a lot less success than you   :P

I live in the north shore of Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

I'm very happy and interested in reading all your new experiences and read your member's financial stories.

Thanks for making me a member.

myamnesia

I live in the north SF Bay area, married with 2 kids. Set to soft FIRE June 2020. I love Sam's posts and am alway son the lookout for new content!

Orphan

Quote from: DadsDollarsDebts on September 09, 2018, 09:07:53 PM
Hello all. I am a dad, doctor, and just guy trying to get by. Life is good out in Northern Cali but I am about to move back home to the South. Consider it a form of geographic arbitrage but I also just need to get the Tubb's Fire and loss of our home behind me. I blog at dadsdollarsdebts.com and have been reading Financial Samurai for many years.

Best of luck on your pending move. Great choice..

Young And The Invested

Hello FSF, I'm a recent convert to the FIRE movement, though I'm more focused on the FI than the RE.  I came upon Sam's site as my wife sent me his articles off and on over the past few years.  She knew I had a strong interest in personal finance and that I routinely would field questions from friends, family and coworkers. 

As a result, she nudged me into starting my own blog (https://youngandtheinvested.com/).  I focus on helping individuals in the younger generations learn more about reaching financial independence through financial literacy and planning.  I attempt to use approachable terms, explanations, and concepts to make the material easily understood and applicable to many.

Visit https://youngandtheinvested.com/about/ to learn more about me and my site's mission.

I look forward to interacting with folks active in the FIRE movement through this forum and other venues.  Please to introduce myself and looking forward to discussing personal finance topics with many of you!
https://youngandtheinvested.com/

will

Hi, all. I came across a headline on the MSN homepage a few weeks ago about how to retire when I am 40, which led me to Financial Samurai.  I'll be 30 soon and didn't put back as much as I wish I would have in my 20s (who did?!) so my goal is to be in a position to retire when I am 50. Using the Personal Capital website that Sam recommends (and now I do, too!) it looks like my wife and I will be on pace to do that, and that is with her "retiring" next year as we start our family.  I have an undergrad in meteorology from MS State, will wrap up an MBA from LSU in October, and have been in the Air Force Reserve since 2012.

Thanks, Sam, for putting this forum together. Now I'd like to advocate for a podcast!

KAT1809

My hubby retired in 2005 due to health reasons about a month before turning 50. I retired in 2013 at age 55 (the earliest retirement age allowed by the "Magic 75" rule of my employer's contributory pension plan). One of the nicest things after I first retired was people telling me, "You don't look 65".  I would then reluctantly admit to being "only 55".

I recently completed my five year period certain pension payout (the majority of which made it into Fidelity and Vanguard Rollover IRAs), so we will see how well hubby and I do living off our Cash Cushion while being protected by our Yield Shield of dividend paying mutual funds (although Geographic Arbitrage is likely not an option for us - we are both too much homebodies). 

I really enjoy reading about all the young, energetic people planning to break out of the hamster wheel of wage slavery.  Financial Independence gives you the freedom to do what you want when you want! Obtain your freedom when you are still young and healthy enough to enjoy it.

sevenplaces

Hi,

I'm Robert in the Atlanta area.  I've been receiving the FS mails for a couple years and trying to gain traction on passive income.  I look forward to learning more about real estate income and look forward to financial independence.

Money Ronin

I started reading your site in 2013 when I left the corporate world and my prior life as a management consultant.  I once served many masters; now I serve none, thus a Ronin. 

At the time, I was 41.  I knew I could get by for a few years without a "real job", but now it's been 5 years and semi/early retirement has worked out financially better than I could have imagined.  I've always been interested in personal finance and investing, and now I've been able to devote more time to such pursuits.  Of course, the timing helped as well.

We share similar backgrounds so it makes sense I agree with most of what you write.  However, I'm looking forward to using this forum as opportunity to share my ideas where they might differ from yours.

Czg

Hi all, I stumbled upon Financial Samurai a short time ago, am have been soaking up your articles since. My husband and I live in the south east. Life is good here.

I've subscribed to everything you offer, but especially glad to find the forums. I really need advice about tweaking our retirement plan.

KT1986

Hi guys

Early thirties ex-lawyer here, based in NYC. Late convert to the personal finance world but your site Sam has done a lot to help me understand the nature of the never-ending treadmill I was previously on (and work to get off it).

Always a pleasure to read everyone's posts and get different people's views on things. Been reticent about posting on the website so far but this forum seems an excellent place to start actively contributing.

Thanks for starting this Sam and I know it's going to be a roaring success!

timbertacos

Hello all!

I'm Tim.

Early 30's.

Primary employment is with the city government, riding loud red trucks and kicking doors, ect.

Started to become more savvy with financial ideas about 3 years ago, a bit after being hired on.  Discovered FS about 6 months ago (although I couldn't tell you how or why)

Like most here, trying to set myself up well for retirement, and perhaps planning for an early retirement.

---------------

More and more, I am hearing guys who are 25 years ahead of me saying a handful of things:

- I wouldnt recommend this career to my children
     - I would retire/separate as soon as possible (53 is the soonest without penalty to pension, 50 is the soonest to separate and
         draw)

For the large part, these are for the health reasons.

Trying to take the hard earned advice of my elders, currently trying to set myself up for a FI exit at the earliest it makes sense.

----------

Looking forward to the community formed in the forums!

Axelrod

Hi all. Very excited to be apart of this forum. My name's Alex.
Sam thanks for starting FS.

Cornbread

Hello and thanks so much for allowing me to join this wonderful forum. I am very ignorant from everything from real estate investing to diversification. I am trying to learn slowly but I have a many questions which I plan to ask. I am old (72),redneck and ugly- but have enjoyed life mainly by having dozens and dozens of jobs. Looking back, it was not a great financial decision for retiring...lol. Deputy sheriff to hot air balloon flight instructor....and everything in between. Took one of the founders of Home Depot on a hot air balloon ride in the 1980s--so have lots of Home Depot stock. I need to diversify---bad.

Jbinjville

Hello
just signed up yesterday, I have two reasons for joining I guess. 1st is finding good tax right offs. my wife and I are fortunate in that our taxable income just doubled, so we're getting hit pretty hard but it's a nice problem to have. 2nd is getting more passive income.  we've got decent  savings in 401K and other IRA  but we need to do better in investing.  I will mention that I started an S corp back in the early 90s and have been working at that job ever since, employing somewhere around 20 people.  we also started a wholly owned LLC a few years ago in a different line, which is where the jump in income is coming from.  So I've got some experience that I may be able to share that may help somebody, hopefully.