News:

To return to the forum homepage, please click the banner at the top of your browser.

Main Menu

Thoughts on Fundrise IPO

Started by Sam, May 10, 2019, 09:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam

Hi Folks,

I've had a flurry of emails asking me what I think about the Fundrise IPO.

I don't have much inside so I wanted to open up this topic to other people with opinions.

In general, I don't like to invest in any individual startups, only funds to spread out risk.

See: https://www.financialsamurai.com/just-say-no-to-angel-investing/

I don't know what the financials are on Fundrise, but I have to assume they are not cash flow positive, as most startups are not.

The one firm that I think is cash flow positive is RealtyMogul. They haven't raised money in over four years according to crunchbase (https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/realty-mogul#section-funding-rounds). That I had lunch with the founder and CEO and she is very focused on profitability.
Regards,

Sam

Cheezus

I bought some of the iPO and not sure why.  In hindsight, probably wouldn't have.  I haven't asked them, I probably should, but I honestly don't even know how to see if my iPO shares have increased in value or done anything at all.  It sounds kind of scammy.

Sam

Quote from: Cheezus on June 17, 2019, 03:17:08 PM
I bought some of the iPO and not sure why.  In hindsight, probably wouldn't have.  I haven't asked them, I probably should, but I honestly don't even know how to see if my iPO shares have increased in value or done anything at all.  It sounds kind of scammy.

I did some research after this post and it looks like they've done pretty well. Just got a hold and not expect a return for a very long time.
Regards,

Sam

Cheezus

Quote from: Sam on June 18, 2019, 04:02:39 PM

I did some research after this post and it looks like they've done pretty well. Just got a hold and not expect a return for a very long time.

That's right.  When you view performance on the site, for the iPO, it actually won't show any gain.  Zero.  You have to click the little "more info" to see theoretical gains and an explanation that the iPO investment has no market to sell your shares and thus no real value.  It's a supposed long term hold with no idea when or if I could ever actually sell to recover my funds, let alone at a gain.  I'd probably not do it again.

And note the lower case "i" - it's "internet Public Offering" which is intentional to confuse people in to thinking it's an IPO.

Sam

Quote from: Cheezus on June 20, 2019, 05:31:11 AM
Quote from: Sam on June 18, 2019, 04:02:39 PM

That's right.  When you view performance on the site, for the iPO, it actually won't show any gain.  Zero.  You have to click the little "more info" to see theoretical gains and an explanation that the iPO investment has no market to sell your shares and thus no real value.  It's a supposed long term hold with no idea when or if I could ever actually sell to recover my funds, let alone at a gain.  I'd probably not do it again.

And note the lower case "i" - it's "internet Public Offering" which is intentional to confuse people in to thinking it's an IPO.

I actually think the lower case "i" is intentional to help people realize this is not the traditional Initial Public Offering IPO. But the initial use of iPO is likely a play on IPO.
Regards,

Sam