News:

To return to the forum homepage, please click the banner at the top of your browser.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Real Estate Crowdfunding / Re: Thoughts On RealtyShares C...
Last post by rns74 - January 08, 2024, 03:51:50 PM
Any updates from the people on this group?
If you were invested in 1026 Corsica, I noticed the property was sold in Nov 2023 for almost 14M!
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Pacific-Palisades/1026-Corsica-Dr-90272/home/6839495

It hurts to know that our money is there and someone profited from it.

I am trying to contact the sponsor, Scott Moore (now at akgre.com), to get some updates.

Have anyone participated on this?
http://www.shulaw.com/About-Us/Active-Cases/shapiro-haber-urmy-llp-announces-filing-of-a-class-action-lawsuit-against-realtyshares-inc-rs-lending-inc-and-others/

Getting Started / Re: Welcome! Please introduce ...
Last post by zambezi01 - August 18, 2023, 12:29:25 AM
I am in San Francisco Bay area nearing retirement. I enjoy the idea of real estate for building passive income. Thank you, Sam; I also grew up in Zambia !
Thank you,
Pankaj Patel
Family Finances / Re: teaching kids about money ...
Last post by AlexNY - June 07, 2023, 03:25:12 PM
To teach my kids about making smart purchasing decisions, I turn grocery shopping into a game. I give them a set budget and a shopping list, and they have to find the best deals while staying within the budget. It helps them understand the value of money and how to make choices based on their needs and priorities.
Family Finances / teaching kids about money mana...
Last post by AlexNY - June 07, 2023, 03:22:50 PM
Teaching kids about money is crucial for their financial well-being. What are some creative and effective ways you've found to educate children about money management?
Getting Started / Re: Welcome! Please introduce ...
Last post by TitanUp - October 23, 2022, 05:17:03 AM
Thx for the forum. I am recently retired and heard your podcast on New Retirement. Look forward to poking around the forum.
The only issue I see is that if you have a 16 year time horizon, you might not be holding the i-bonds for that period of time.  The 9% is likely only a temporary phenomenon based on current inflation that should subside at some point in the next few years, at which point the yield will subside as well.  That said if you only have 10k to invest that's probably your best option for the next year, then afterwards use the proceeds for the 529
Hello! I'm trying to save for college education for my 2 y/o son.  With high inflation we're currently experiencing, I-Bonds that are paying over 9% seem like a good option to invest in long term.
Vanguard's 529b plan is a conventional long-term college savings plan and I'm wondering which option is better at to put say $10k into with an intent of not touching it for many years.
I want to of course retain as much earned interest as possible and reduce tax burden at the time of withdrawal.  Does anyone have experience with that? I'd appreciate a constructive advice.  Thank you.
Family Finances / Re: How much did you spend on ...
Last post by Shredder - April 25, 2022, 07:38:02 PM
Well... I spent a $1k for every year that we were dating prior to getting engaged.  Ended up spending $9k
Real Estate Crowdfunding / reAlpha
Last post by Mobius - January 28, 2022, 10:53:34 AM
https://invest.realpha.com/

Has anyone invested in / done additional research on this company?

Website is... flashy and their claims/hopes seem very aggressive.
The old fake it til you make it tech type mentality.

I do like the idea but without more data, it's been impossible for me to get a good feel for their model.
Hey forum, I have a family of 3 and potentially leaving TX for Europe (France) this summer. I have a house paid for with 11K$ of taxes that could net 1300-1500$/month (rent-property management-maintenance-taxes-etc) if rented. I could also sell into the market for say 500$-530K...My house is about 16% of Net worth. I plan to rent in france for a while until i find the right place (2-5 years probably). I have about 600K in other real estate investments as well in US (multifamily, hard loans,  mobile homes, etc), rest is stock market in tax deferred and after tax accounts.

My Pros and cons of renting vs. selling

1) Pros Renting
- Cash flow positive
- favorable tax if i reside in emea
- continue long on real estate trends in US / TX

2) cons
- Wil get taxed big time when I sell and cannot get 250/500K tax waive for primary home
- maintenance. In TX, lots of issues (tornadoes, wood house not as strong always need maintenance) and thus will be quite complicated to manage from EMEA ( i would dread having to talk to insurance company if something wrong with my roof/pool, etc)
- sell now and i get the cash and can try to deploy in other investments

How should I think through this decision?

Thanks for the pointers.