News:

To return to the forum homepage, please click the banner at the top of your browser.

Main Menu

What's your favorite side hustle?

Started by Jamie, August 09, 2018, 11:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie

There are lots of ways to earn side income now, especially in bigger cities, but it's not always fun. I've driven for Lyft here and there, especially when they have promos, but it's not my favorite thing to do and I really don't have much patience for traffic anymore. What's your favorite side hustle and why? And while we're at it, what's been your least favorite? thanks

Sydney

I had a lot of fun cat sitting. I don't have time anymore b/c all my time is devoted to my toddler but I might get back into it down the road when he's much older and no longer wants to spend so much time with me. I tried dog sitting too, but I'm much more a cat person. Cat sitting is also a lot easier too imo! :) I'm sure dog lovers would much prefer dog sitting over cat sitting though, personal preference. One of my former colleagues was a very active side hustle dog sitter and brought in a lot of extra cash, several hundred a week on average. She did overnights pretty often which pay a lot better than just dog walking. Helps to have a car or find clients close by your work or home to save time too.

Captain

I'm in my 60s now but when I was younger and free of arthritis, I did a lot of side work as a painter. It was more enjoyable to me than mowing lawns and I got pretty good at it with all the practice. Back then we didn't have the fancy paint sprayers either. It would have been a lot faster and more fun with them.

Snow

I actually don't mind mowing lawns that much lol. For me it's much better than being stuck behind the counter at a pt retail job or delivering food. I have some regular clients in my neighborhood during spring and summer. I rake and bags leaves in the fall and shovel driveways in the winter. I like being outdoors and setting my own hours.

sfpf

I tried TaskRabbit and thought it was okay. Although I had a lot of different services I offered, I only got chosen to buy groceries and help pack up people's homes before a move. There wasn't too much activity in my neighborhood so it wasn't a steady stream of income for me. And the commission they took was a bummer. I've built relationships with a couple people on my block since then who I work directly with from time to time picking up groceries and dry cleaning for cash so that's been nice. Not a ton of money, but it's still nice to earn some extra here and there.

SeanC73

I buy/sell tickets to theatre, sports, concerts, etc. as well as vinyl records.  I've been a music nerd my whole life so concert tickets and vinyl records just made sense to me.  A lot of shade is thrown at ticket brokers and I get it, but flipping is addicting.  If it isn't tickets, it's vinyl records, shoes, and anything else I can buy and sell at a profit.

FabFitRetired

Credit cards for travel rewards.  After opening up 6 credit cards in the past 3 years my credit rating went to 850, and I received a ton of travel points.  My last trip to Europe was pretty reasonable.  It takes some time and planning, but is well worth it.  I charge everything I can to rack up the point.  Of course, I pay off the balance every month and have never carried a balance my entire life.

Super Bub

I agree with FabFitRetired - obtaining credit card rewards and bank account opening bonuses are a fun hobby.  Safe mid-teen percent returns can be achieved.  Chase Bank has the biggest bonuses right now and there are multiple websites that rank them.

Sam

My favorite side hustle was writing a post before going to work from 5:30am - 7am and 10pm - midnight between 2009 - 2012. Writing felt cathartic. Now it's my main "hustle" that doesn't feel like a hustle at all. Instead, it feels like my ikigai.
Regards,

Sam

MontgomeryWard

I ran a walking tour in my city for about a month. I listed on Airbnb Experiences. I didn't do any marketing and got 3 tour groups. I may open it up again next year (tourism season is sort of coming to a close). And if I do, I'll make some online content to spread the word!

southern

Building websites in various niches, scaling to $xxx to $xxxx/mth in revenue, then flipping them for profit.

kcpope

I've dabbled in many...from painting house numbers on curbs to searching at garage sales/goodwill for profitable eBay flips. Currently, Amazon FBA is my jelly. I can't say it's a good longterm game, as Amazon's policy regarding it's sellers is to shoot first and ask questions later. Time will tell, but for right now it's returning good monthly profit, which I plan to roll into a real estate investment in a year or 2.

SouthWestIron

My absolute favorite is Youtube videos. Even a mediocre video done on the right subject matter can yield income years after its made. 

sara@gatheringdreams

I always seem to come up with a different side hustle every 2-3 years, as I get bored very quickly.

I started a personalized tea business around 7 years ago, but having to deal with physical products was far too much work, so I would say this was my least favorite.

Then I flipped properties: it was still a lot of work, but far more profitable :)

And I am now blogging, which I'm really enjoying!

Sam

Quote from: SouthWestIron on September 10, 2018, 11:07:49 AM
My absolute favorite is Youtube videos. Even a mediocre video done on the right subject matter can yield income years after its made.

I have a feeling that a lot of young folks nowadays want to be YouTube stars!  With so many examples of success, I can easily understand why.

Maybe one day I'll have a video Channel. Or maybe I'll let my son do it when he's old enough to understand the consequences of fame and privacy.
Regards,

Sam

kgschnyd3r

I installed some home automation features like smart sockets to control lights, USB charging ports and connected them to Alexa.
Also, install the DIY security systems for people who would rather pay someone else.
Now they tell me a license is required to do this?  :(

emilio g

I'm a musician which often is a combo of 4-6 different "side hustles".

One of them has always been teaching lessons since I play a few instruments and know my way around recording software. Depending on the student and instrument I can charge from $40-$80 an hour.

I also have a buddy who runs a booking company. He basically just advertises and nurtures relationships with event planners and performers, then connects them when there's a need.

SouthWestIron

Quote from: Sam on September 10, 2018, 11:47:30 AM
Quote from: SouthWestIron on September 10, 2018, 11:07:49 AM

I have a feeling that a lot of young folks nowadays want to be YouTube stars!  With so many examples of success, I can easily understand why.

Maybe one day I'll have a video Channel. Or maybe I'll let my son do it when he's old enough to understand the consequences of fame and privacy.
Stardom isn't really even needed.  I'm 45 and young at heart. Countless examples of ones who remain anonymous and are just crushing it!

AlexNY

Some of my favorite side hustles are repairing PCs, wall mounting flat screen TVs and hooking up entertainment systems. I first got into it by helping friends and then that spread to friends of friends, neighbors and now people who find me through sites like Craigslist.

Sydney

I totally forgot I taught music lessons for a couple years. I enjoyed that a lot, especially with my regular students who were really into learning. One of my students had the best attitude and tried really hard. Even though she wasn't the most naturally gifted amongst my students and she would get frustrated at times, she stuck with it. I liked giving her extra time for free when she came to her lessons because we both had so much fun.