News:

To return to the forum homepage, please click the banner at the top of your browser.

Main Menu

When did your kid finally realize you weren't a superhero?

Started by Sam, September 22, 2018, 08:03:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam

I'm assuming that many kids will view their parents as their heroes until a certain age. At some age, they realize you aren't as funny, smart, successful, etc as they thought you were because they discover other people around them.

When was that age for your child? And how do you approach this transition?
Regards,

Sam

Jon Sharpe

Don't worry Sam, you still have a few more years! Through elementary school is pretty much guaranteed. After that, it's a slippery slope all the way through high-school.

jekamom

And to ease your mind, you regain superhero status again when they are young adults. (at least for most of them) They won't admit it, but you will hear those things, that advice,  you told them but figured they ignored come out of thier mouth.  (don't tell them you heard it, though!)  :)

Sam

Quote from: jekamom on September 22, 2018, 07:05:25 PM
And to ease your mind, you regain superhero status again when they are young adults. (at least for most of them) They won't admit it, but you will hear those things, that advice,  you told them but figured they ignored come out of thier mouth.  (don't tell them you heard it, though!)  :)

Let us see! I've got a plan of making my boy a forum administrator when he's 10-12 years old. Im so curious as to see whether he'll want to listen to dad and hang out, or have nothing to do with me.
Regards,

Sam

Cheezus

I guess this depends on what you mean by "superhero".  For me, I always looked up to my parents until I became more successful than them.  They were the ones doing well, driving a nice car, good jobs, etc.  Once I surpassed that, the roles started to change and I was paying for my parents health insurance, taking them on vacations, etc.  I didn't look up to them the same way anymore, the roles kind of flipped.  Still love them and all, but definitely a different dynamic.  So I would say I didn't realize they weren't a superhero until my late 20's...  :D

qigehaizi

With seven children spanning age 21 down to 4, I have more experience in this area than most dads. I seem to have maintained superhero status a bit longer with my 4 daughters than with my two eldest sons. Each child is different but you will definitely know when the day comes:-/ Maybe that's why we kept having more children:-)