News:

To return to the forum homepage, please click the banner at the top of your browser.

Main Menu

The Google Walkout Is The Watershed Moment I've Been Waiting For

Started by Sam, November 02, 2018, 02:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam

Dear Financial Samurais,

Since first publishing How To Engineer Your Layoff: Make A Small Fortune By Saying Goodbye in 2012, I've been waiting for a watershed moment where employees everywhere finally rise up and realize how powerful they really are.

I think that watershed moment has finally arrived when 17,000 Google employees walked out to protest the $90 million severance payment Andy Rubin received from Google after the company discovered he sexually harassed a colleague.

Google was under no fiduciary responsibility to give Rubin severance. In fact, they should have fired his ass and left him with nothing. Instead, they paid him an exorbitant amount of money in exchange that he not disparage the firm and not work for any major rivals for a certain period of time. Google also even invested in Playground Global, a venture firm Andy started six months after leaving the company.

You can imagine the outrage once word got out.

In 2012, I didn't foresee the #MeToo movement take hold and be a significant force in encouraging workers everywhere to stand up for their rights, but it has. All I knew at the time was that in order to get what I wanted, I had to self-advocate with great confidence.

Don't let people walk all over you. Stand your ground and fight back with KNOWLEDGE. The more you know, and the more you know about your power, the more powerful you will become.

To celebrate this awesome awakening, I've launched a new $30 off code for my book: fighton

Never surrender! https://www.financialsamurai.com/how-to-make-money-quitting-your-job-2/

Sam

Regards,

Sam

ladymaam

This is really amazing, Sam! I am seriously considering engineering my layoff at some point over the next six months. I have a job interview on Wednesday, and if it doesn't go well then engineering my layoff will be my next move.

Have you read any writings by Liz Ryan? I really like what she says about why we accept bad treatment as employees. Basically, we've been so trained to put our heads down and take it, that we're genuinely sacred by the thought of "rising up."

Does this code still work for your book?

Young And The Invested

How'd the interview go?  I'm currently exploring the route of engineering my own layoff as well.  Without knowing the full details of your decision, I'll say mine is proving tricky given the added complication of a cross-country move. 

I'm unsure of how much notice I can give my current employer to make it worth their while if I am trying to time my departure with the start of a new job across the country.
https://youngandtheinvested.com/