News:

To return to the forum homepage, please click the banner at the top of your browser.

Main Menu

Puerto Rico tax advantages

Started by RandyP, January 05, 2019, 06:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RandyP

Has anyone here moved to Puerto Rico, or considered doing so, to take advantage of the tax rate. Basically it's 4% total taxes on income, yet you are still in the US, etc. Anyone made the plunge?

Nigel

Quote from: RandyP on January 05, 2019, 06:57:20 AM
Has anyone here moved to Puerto Rico, or considered doing so, to take advantage of the tax rate. Basically it's 4% total taxes on income, yet you are still in the US, etc. Anyone made the plunge?

A co-worker has. Still works for us so drawing DC salary while living in PR.  Nice gig.  Haven't spoken to him in a bit.  While English is prevalent I'd guess you'd want to have decent Spanish skills.

dpmf01

I thought the 4% rate only applied to capital gains income, not regular wages?

Lynx

The 4% as far as I understand is based on company taxes. Puerto Rico still has its own income tax even though you don't pay Federal Income tax. You would also need a decent working knowledge of Spanish to get things done as even though it is advertised as dual language the English is limited in a lot of areas.

RandyP

Quote from: dpmf01 on January 24, 2019, 10:42:27 PM
I thought the 4% rate only applied to capital gains income, not regular wages?
There are rules, but if you are self-employed you can make it work. While I'm sure spanish would be very helpful, you actually have to provide services back to the mainland to get the favorable tax treatment.