News:

To return to the forum homepage, please click the banner at the top of your browser.

Main Menu

What have you read that opened up your thinking about investing and the world?

Started by jekamom, September 09, 2018, 11:30:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jekamom

I've been reading FACTFULNESS:ten reasons we're wrong about the world --and why things are better than you think (Hans Rosling)
Global trends in Health and Economics - with some good news!
How about you?

Jamie

Cool reading suggestion! I'll have to check that out. As for me nothing specific comes to mind recently. Sam's articles on retirement really gave me a kick in the pants that I needed to open up a retirement account several years ago.

I also try and automate as much as I can with my contributions and investments. I'm not good at anticipating optimal entry points so I just leg in to my positions every month. I'm better off putting my money to work each month without worrying about getting a great price versus just sitting on my cash and doing nothing and risking spending it.

defomcduff

The most eye-opening article I've ever read on investing and early retirement (besides FS) is:

Mr Money Moustache, The Shockingly Simple Math Behind Early Retirement
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/01/13/the-shockingly-simple-math-behind-early-retirement/

So simple, yet so powerful for those aiming for early retirement.

DeForest
DeForest
Boston, Massachusetts

lepong02

It would have to be Rich Dad, Poor Dad and Cashflow Quadrant by Robert Kiyosaki for me.

That was probably 10-15 years ago. The ideas in the books created awareness and shifted my mindset away from traditional thinking of studying hard, get a good job and everything would be ok in the end. My parents were employees who believed in working hard and saving. But those days people stayed in the same company all the way till official retirement.

It took me a few readings to really understand what he was talking about. That started me on my journey I guess.

defomcduff

I agree with Rich Dad, Poor Dad!!  One of the best books I've ever read.

Also liked The Millionaire Next Door as a lifelong influence.

DeForest

Quote from: lepong02 on September 11, 2018, 01:07:19 AM
It would have to be Rich Dad, Poor Dad and Cashflow Quadrant by Robert Kiyosaki for me.
DeForest
Boston, Massachusetts

gkc

Dave Ramsey's book on debt elimination,The Total Money Makeover, very simple to read and understand.The Richest Man In Babylon, http://www.ccsales.com/the_richest_man_in_babylon.pdf     timeless lessons

Barrie71

Over the years there are most probably too many to mention but some of my favorites in no particular order would be:

1.  Your Money or your Life  (Robin & Dominguez)
2.  Millionaire next door  (Stanley & Danko)
3.  The Intelligent Asset Allocator  (William Bernstein)
4.  The Intelligent Investor  (Benjamin Graham)
5.  The Little book of common sense investing (Bogle)
6.  The Richest man in Babylon  (Clason)
7.  The Simple path to wealth  (Collns)
8.  Smarter Investing (Tim Hale)
9.  Investing Demystified  (Lars Kroijer)
10. Winning the Losers Game  (Ellis)
11. A Random walk down Wall Street (Malkiel)
12. Automatic Millionaire (David Bach)

Currently reading:
1.  Money  (Rob Moore)
2.  Master the money game  (Tony Robbins)

Have a great Weekend !

Barrie