News:

To return to the forum homepage, please click the banner at the top of your browser.

Main Menu

My friend bought a new Tesla model 3, I bought Tesla stock

Started by Sam, September 14, 2018, 10:42:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam

My softball buddy, who is a preschool teacher and makes around $55,000 a year bought a $52,000 model 3 three months ago. I test drove his car, and I liked it.  So once Elon started losing his mind, I decided to buy about $30,000 worth of the stock at $280.

Anybody else a shareholder and have some thoughts on this company's future? Clearly, there's been a lot of turmoil and they will need to raise more capital to keep Operations going.
Regards,

Sam

Young And The Invested

I badly want the company to succeed, but as things stand, I wouldn't stake any of my own money on it.  That's a risk I'm not willing to bear until I see some leadership changes that reign in capital spending and communicate execution and reasonable goal-setting.  The company's grand vision aligns with a world where investors freely give their capital without expectations of it being put to productive use, let alone returned.

Until Elon is relieved of his duties at the top, I'm afraid to invest in the company.  He seems like one of those geniuses who's figured out everything already and gets frustrated when the world can't seem to keep up.  He's more geared to fill a senior engineering or R&D role than CEO, in my opinion.  That role is more like chief diplomat or politician.

But you're probably on the right side of the investment after the #FundingSecured debacle.  Someone will realize Elon needs to be replaced, upon which time the stock will skyrocket.
https://youngandtheinvested.com/

Hayden

Quote from: YoungAndTheInvested on September 14, 2018, 12:46:19 PM
But you're probably on the right side of the investment after the #FundingSecured debacle.  Someone will realize Elon needs to be replaced, upon which time the stock will skyrocket.

I agree with what you're saying here. I think that most of Tesla's stock rides on the idea that people either do not like the idea of Tesla or they do not trust Elon. I personally am not educated enough on either side, so I am going to stick my investments elsewhere for the time being. I could see if the leadership changes the stock will absolutely increase substantially.
Very Respectfully,
Hayden

Young And The Invested

And now the inevitable criminal probe from the Dept. of Justice in response to #FundingSecured.  I do think it's only a matter of time before Tesla's board has to give serious consideration either to replacing Elon or appointing a very strong Co-CEO to manage the company through its many troubles.

Sam, your bet on Tesla might be directionally right in the long-run.  But there's a lot of uncertainty between now and then. There may be more downside before upside in the near-term.  What is your investing horizon on the the position?  What would you need to see happen to consider selling?

hyperobjeckt

aaaaaand here's the SEC suit: https://www.scribd.com/document/389619143/SEC-v-Musk

What do you guys think... buy the dip? Or is this company not worth owning even at the newly lowered price?

Sam

Quote from: hyperobjeckt on September 27, 2018, 02:29:20 PM
aaaaaand here's the SEC suit: https://www.scribd.com/document/389619143/SEC-v-Musk

What do you guys think... buy the dip? Or is this company not worth owning even at the newly lowered price?

I'm gonna be buying the dip!  I have two more $30,000 tranches, so plan to use my second tranche on this news. I enjoy taking bets. Not bet no win as they say.

How about you?
Regards,

Sam

Orphan

Quote from: Sam on September 27, 2018, 03:49:11 PM

I'm gonna be buying the dip!  I have two more $30,000 tranches, so plan to use my second tranche on this news. I enjoy taking bets. Not bet no win as they say.

I think a look at BA would be in order...they build nice airplanes...
How about you?

TravelGirl

I heard something strange from someone trying to buy a Tesla in Texas.  You cannot buy a Tesla in Texas, you have to buy it in California and then re-register it in Texas.  In Texas there are no dealerships, just showrooms with lots of cars.  They cannot even quote you a price for the car or give any indication as to how much taxes/registration will be in Texas.  Are there other states that are anti-Tesla?  I was baffled that it was even legal for Texas to prohibit them from selling the cars.  I haven't researched it so I'm not sure how much truth there is to it, but I'd find it disturbing if I wanted to invest in Tesla.

Sam

So glad Elon settled "for $20" million this weekend.

Stepping down from board will help him too.

Here's to a rebound on this yo yo stock.
Regards,

Sam

Kendall

I have been buying tastes of this yo-yo since the "funding secured" fiasco. I sold at $310 last year to fund a kitchen remodel and had sellers remorse ever since.

I feel there is enough of a business to make TSLA a worthy bet, but it also feels a little like gambling.

I have experienced companies that become roiled in controversy causing me to sell, but then regret it. EBIX comes to mind. Short selling research company brought light to some of the behaviors of its CEO Raina in 2013. I sold, but EBIX has gone on to be a multi-bagger.

Tesla produces a product and appear to be motivated to turn the business profitable. That is enough to convince me to put some discretionary money into TSLA and hope.

hyperobjeckt

Quote from: Sam on September 27, 2018, 03:49:11 PM

How about you?
I enjoy taking bets too but I'm gonna pass on this one. Telsa continues to be a fun stock to watch from a distance, though ;D

Sam

One risk I see is Tesla raising money via primary shares in the open market to fund their capex, despite reporting a profit in 3Q. Issuing new shares dilutes existing shareholders.

But the more I think about Tesla, the more I like it as a 5-10 year hold. Elon is brilliant if you read his entrepreneurial endeavors since he was a teenager. Tesla and Elon will get unlimited amount of funding for whatever he needs to grow.

Tesla is simply not just a car business. The enterprise value of the business is so much more in the long run.

I might actually see Elon soon at a private event. Will at least be able to observe who his date will be :)
Regards,

Sam

Sam

Met Elon and his girlfriend this past weekend. I'm bullish! The new truck is going to be sweet.
Regards,

Sam

Dario33

Quote from: Sam on November 07, 2018, 02:44:45 PM
Met Elon and his girlfriend this past weekend. I'm bullish! The new truck is going to be sweet.
Awesome.  8)

Sam

It's funny, b/c when I was working in Equities, I bought stocks based on fundamentals. I'd look at their earnings forecasts, valuations, expectations etc and make a decision.

Now, as a business operator for almost 10 years, I focus much more on the PEOPLE I want to invest in. Tim Cook, from Apple, is not an innovator. He is a hired CEO who got rich, just like Sundar Pichai got rich becoming CEO of Google. Elon is a whole different ball game.

I'd much rather bet on Elon 10 years from now, all things being equal.
Regards,

Sam

Sam

China plans to lift tariffs on US made cars. Nice. Tesla sells about 10K-10.5K cars in China. They had to lower prices b/c the overall tariff would have been 40% after China planned to slap on another 40%.

Update 12/7/2018: Doesn't look like the news was true, but this tariff cut is on the tables during the 90-day negotiation period with Trump and Xi.

Go Tesla!
Regards,

Sam

Sam

More bullish news.

Jefferies analyst Philippe Houchois turned bullish on the electric car maker, citing optimism over the company's profit, self-funding and productivity potential. Houchois raised his rating to buy, after upgrading it to hold in April. He raised his stock price target to $450, which is 24% above were it closed Thursday, from $360.

Houchois said that after "unrealistic goals" for growth, industrial ramp and automation have been rebased, Tesla is still one of the few original equipment manufacturers that are likely to growth earnings in 2019 and 2020. After visiting Tesla's Fremont, Calif. facility, Houchois said there is "meaningful scope" to improve productivity and offset the erosion in average sales price with the Model 3. "Tesla should continue to stand out with broader price points, battery security of supply, product edge and a brand that transcends the volume/premium divide," Houchois wrote in a note to clients.

"In short, in the year ahead we think only Tesla will avoid a volume zero-sum-game or negative margin trade-off in EVs." The stock has soared 38% over the past three months, while the S&P 500 SPX, +0.21% has lost 6.1%.
Regards,

Sam

JFox

With electric cars and plug-in hybrids becoming mainstream, how would Tesla keep a strong edge over other makers?

Sam

Quote from: JFox on January 04, 2019, 09:12:47 PM
With electric cars and plug-in hybrids becoming mainstream, how would Tesla keep a strong edge over other makers?

Gonna be tough. Model Y?

Hopefully a rising tide lifts all boats, especially the first boat.
Regards,

Sam

Young And The Invested

I do love the marketing strategy behind Tesla's model names:

Model S
Model 3 (abandoned it on account of Ford)
Model X
Model Y

Clever.