News:

To return to the forum homepage, please click the banner at the top of your browser.

Main Menu

How to buy a separate Island?

Started by SteveGood, January 02, 2020, 10:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveGood

Hi,

I aware something about few people buy a separate island for their own use. My question is how to buy the island?

Who is the seller of the Island? Where are they going to register?

If anyone has good knowledge of this, kindly clear my doubt?

WengerTodd

It depends where the island is located. I'm not aware of any islands that are "sovereign," if that's what you mean. All the islands that I'm aware of that have ever been for sale are under the flag of some nation for which they are located.

There are a lot of islands located in and around Key West that are privately owned. Some are as small as an acre, while others are quite big. They go up for sale from time to time. The ones which have been improved are pretty expensive, but I've seen 3-acre islands sell for as low as $20,000. The biggest problem is that those are unimproved, and the only way to gain access to them is via boat. So you need a boat now, and you need a boat slip in Key West. Furthermore, in order to begin using the island, you'll need to build your own dock, AND... you need permitting for everything.

Florida is a pretty good state to live in, the sales tax is low, property tax is average, and there's no income tax, nor are there many other taxes you find in other states. So it's worth looking into.

SteveGood

Quote from: WengerTodd on January 03, 2020, 08:42:36 PM
It depends where the island is located. I'm not aware of any islands that are "sovereign," if that's what you mean. All the islands that I'm aware of that have ever been for sale are under the flag of some nation for which they are located.

There are a lot of islands located in and around Key West that are privately owned. Some are as small as an acre, while others are quite big. They go up for sale from time to time. The ones which have been improved are pretty expensive, but I've seen 3-acre islands sell for as low as $20,000. The biggest problem is that those are unimproved, and the only way to gain access to them is via boat. So you need a boat now, and you need a boat slip in Key West. Furthermore, in order to begin using the island, you'll need to build your own dock, AND... you need permitting for everything.

Florida is a pretty good state to live in, the sales tax is low, property tax is average, and there's no income tax, nor are there many other taxes you find in other states. So it's worth looking into.

Thanks for your valuable answer, how can they build the army? How can secure the island?