News:

To return to the forum homepage, please click the banner at the top of your browser.

Main Menu

How often have you asked for a raise?

Started by sfpf, August 18, 2018, 04:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfpf

I always get really nervous thinking about asking for a raise because I fear coming across as pushy. If you've done it before, how long were you employed before you first asked? Did you ask more than once during your employment there?

techsolutions

i get nervous too when around boss or the one person who can end my primary source of entire income ,cant help why i get nervous
I did ask for more unpaid time off max i got was one month at a time and got declined third time ,max only 2 weeks every 6 months time off

Sam

I used to ask for a raise every two years to keep them honest. We had a pretty good promotion and pay raise structure and banking. But it was the bonus part of the equation that I had to really keep on fighting for.

So long as you ask in a constructive manner where are you show why you deserve a raise, it shouldn't be a problem. Every employee is trading at a 10% to 30% discount to the market if they stay at their firm.
Regards,

Sam

Irish247

I have always felt that if you aren't willing to ask, they won't be willing to pay it. Looking back at where I started and where I currently am in salary it's mostly due to asking for more. I don't necessarily set a clock to it but I have found that at least once a year I open the door to recruiters and other options. I will take a few calls and even go to a few follow up interviews just to keep my negotiating skills sharp. I negotiate a lot for a living anyway, but it's good to have practice with new people. Stepping out from your company once and awhile helps you see where you rate.  The grass of course is always greener. I do find though that once a year I'll see something out there worth looking at. If it's good enough to make me want to leave I'll evalute why. If is truely a money issue than I'll schedule a meeting with my manager and ask for money. If it's something better; opportunity, free time, etc. then I'll consider leaving.  I want to be as loyal to my company as possible, but when you are working for someone else you need to protect your interest.

deific

I have never asked for a raise, though I always receive one at the end of the year. I strongly believe that managements position on this is that if you ask for a raise it will be taken out of any potential you may have been given at year end, often resulting in something lower than you would have received.

Sydney

My memory is getting fuzzy but I think I asked maybe 4 or 5 times across a span of 12 years. I got shot down a couple times but the other times were really worth it, especially the last time. I always hated asking but it was worth it in the end for me.

mhlavac

I've asked for a raise once in my career over the course of 15 years.  I got it.  I initially accepted an offer to join a company and upon hiring on, they said they would re-evaluate my salary/performance after 90 days.  My boss conveniently forgot about that, and when I brought it up with him, he agreed that I had earned a higher base.

I've found that growing my career is more about promotion, rather than raises.  I think about raises like cost of living adjustments (generally single digit percentages), whereas if you are looking to solve your boss' problems, that's where the real money comes in (10-30% over the course of my career).

I have had a boss who felt that the way to prove that you warrant a promotion or a raise is to go out and get an offer from another company and plop it down on his desk and ask for the company that I am currently working for to match or beat it.  This seems odd to me, but different strokes for different folks.