News:

To return to the forum homepage, please click the banner at the top of your browser.

Main Menu

Why do you think Elizabeth Warren claims she's Cherokee Indian?

Started by Sam, October 15, 2018, 08:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam

I don't understand why Elizabeth Warren released a DNA study thinking it proves she is Cherokee Indian when the study says she's 1/64 to 1/1024 Native American!

What do you think she is thinking? Isn't it insulting to the Cherokee Indians for Elizabeth to claim their heritage?

See their response

"A DNA test is useless to determine tribal citizenship. Current DNA tests do not even distinguish whether a person's ancestors were indigenous to North or South America. Sovereign tribal nations set their own legal requirements for citizenship, and while DNA tests can be used to determine lineage, such as paternity to an individual, it is not evidence for tribal affiliation. Using a DNA test to lay claim to any connection to the Cherokee Nation or any tribal nation, even vaguely, is inappropriate and wrong. It makes a mockery out of DNA tests and its legitimate uses while also dishonoring legitimate tribal governments and their citizens, who ancestors are well documented and whose heritage is prove. Senator Warren is undermining tribal interests with her continued claims of tribal heritage."

- Cherokee Nation Secretary of State Chuck Hoskin, Jr.

Regards,

Sam

Bonsai

Sam:
I don't think this topic is appropriate here as it easily leads to a much broader discussion such as the why, and intentions, of the POTUS calling anyone Pocahontus.  I would recommend you remove this topic it lest it become a pro/con Trump rant forum.

RageCage

Too late... TRUMP!!!!  kidding.  She obviously is not a skilled politician (at least not at the freak-show level she is playing with).  There was no upside to her doing it unless the findings were more conclusive and more of a match.  In many ways she is no match (not the least of which is in the gladiator ring of current political circus).

Sam

One of the questions I have is how much we can use race for college admissions since I have young boy now. I am highly following the case with Harvard getting sued by an Asian American coalition. My boy is also part pacific islander, and we proudly follow the Hawaiian culture. Aloha!
Regards,

Sam

Orphan

Sam,
It is because she is scam artist. Pure and simple. Apparently she was unqualified to gain admittance to the her Ivy League law school so she perpetuated a fraud..I might have more Eskimo than she has Native American blood...

Orphan

Quote from: Bonsai on October 17, 2018, 11:59:10 AM
Sam:
I don't think this topic is appropriate here as it easily leads to a much broader discussion such as the why, and intentions, of the POTUS calling anyone Pocahontus.  I would recommend you remove this topic it lest it become a pro/con Trump rant forum.

Bonsai,
The topic is appropriate. Nothing wrong with discussing current events in our country. There are two sides to every discussion whether you agree with one side or not. It's a good thing.

Respectfully of course..

Sam

Orphan, but what percentage is needed to check that racial box?
Regards,

Sam

Orphan

Quote from: Sam on October 18, 2018, 08:30:12 AM

Sam,
Good question, I can assure you that is not the percentage she claims. I go with the 50/50 percentage. That is the safe bet. Then no one can claim one is trying to gain an unfair advantage in any aspect. 75/25 then it is a definite go. 25/75. That is getting a little ridiculous. Beyond that is laughter. Your thoughts?

Bonsai

1.Racism is racism is racism.  De-humaning or berating someone (Elisabeth Warren) because of race (Pocohantus) is racism.  Racism is everywhere and regional, e.g., the "comfort girls" vis a vis, the Rape of Nanjing and China/Japan or Japan limiting the influx of Koreans.  As to a percentage, adopt the standard of our old south grandfathers and grandmothers and the answer is  easy, refer to the "one-drop-rule." 
2.Trump is inept (look at the staff turnover), corrupt (release your tax returns Donald) and an embarrassment ("just grab them by the pussy, you can do anything") at best.  Read Fear by Bob Woodward (of Watergate fame) and get a sense how bad he is.
3.My last comment on this thread.

Orphan

Quote from: Bonsai on October 18, 2018, 11:28:11 AM

1.Racism is racism is racism.  De-humaning or berating someone (Elisabeth Warren) because of race (Pocohantus) is racism.  Racism is everywhere and regional, e.g., the "comfort girls" vis a vis, the Rape of Nanjing and China/Japan or Japan limiting the infux of Koreans.  As to a percentage, adopt the standard of our old south grandfathers and grandmothers and the answer is  easy, refer to the "one-drop-rule." 
2.Trump is inept (look at the staff turnover), corrupt (release your tax returns Donald) and an embarrassment ("just grab them by the pussy, you can do anything") at best.  Read Fear by Bob Woodward (of Watergate fame) and get a sense how bad he is.
3.My last comment on this thread.

You didn't need to comment at all. You are the one who demanded this thread didn't need to be a pro/con Trump forum but then you throw him into the mix. What is truly amazing is how fast people become unhinged and are unable to hold a rational discussion as you have demonstrated.

Oh by the way, who mentioned anything about racism but you and the fraud Elizabeth Warren.

Bonsai. Take a breather. Relax and chill. The sun will come up tomorrow and the grass will grow. I can guarantee it..

Sam

Check out this "one-drop rule" and the historical significance: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-drop_rule
Regards,

Sam

WengerTodd

Quote from: Sam on October 15, 2018, 08:09:03 PM
I don't understand why Elizabeth Warren released a DNA study thinking it proves she is Cherokee Indian when the study says she's 1/64 to 1/1024 Native American!

What do you think she is thinking? Isn't it insulting to the Cherokee Indians for Elizabeth to claim their heritage?

See their response

"Senator Warren is undermining tribal interests with her continued claims of tribal heritage."

- Cherokee Nation Secretary of State Chuck Hoskin, Jr.

There's a lot to this... first and foremost, I'd never known previously that a DNA test couldn't determine race. I'd always just assumed that was a given that it could. So I was surprised to learn [that it cannot], and furthermore... it proves how we're really all just the same, with our individual cultures and upbringing being the biggest influencer in our character.

On Senator Warren, I think we all kind of understand what she's done. Being one of a "specific" minority group provides a leg-up for opportunities, whether that's acceptance into college / university, or being hired into a position. This would be similar to being a Veteran and applying for a job. The benefits the companies get in return for hiring minorities are often tangible (depending on the state). She knew this, and by checking Native American, she believed it would give her a leg up.

To be fair, the university said it did not benefit her in any way, as they made their decision without it. She was well educated before getting that position, so it's possible they're being honest about it. For Warren, I don't think it was an honest mistake either, and I say this because she actually took French recipes and subsequently plagiarized them. She then released them in the school newsletter as "Pow Wow Chow," stating they came from her grandmother. This shows a concerted effort to knowingly perpetuate a non-truth. Metaphorically speaking, we each make our bed, and we each need to lay in it at the end of the night.

Personally, this is the kind of behavior that generally makes up most politicians anyway. This was something that was just a little more obvious, but it's that "do whatever it takes" personality that generally causes people to become politicians, and succeed at it... unfortunately. I cannot point to a single politician that I know of that's not done this in some manner or another. I'm sure if I really dug in deep, I'd even find similar behavior from Ronald Reagan or Jimmy Carter, two people who I think were/are absolutely upstanding Americans.

As for being offended, I suppose if the Cherokees don't like her, they can feign being offended. But they say that imitation is the biggest flattery. I think probably though, they just want to make it clear that she doesn't represent them.

Quote from: Bonsai on October 17, 2018, 11:59:10 AM
Sam:
I don't think this topic is appropriate here as it easily leads to a much broader discussion such as the why, and intentions, of the POTUS calling anyone Pocahontus(sic).  I would recommend you remove this topic it lest it become a pro/con Trump rant forum.

Hate to point out the obvious though, but you were the only one that went on a pro/con Trump rant.

Sam

Don't think Elizabeth will get the nomination.

She was caught saying on video her kids went to public school, when they went to private for at least most of their upbringing.

Why lie?
Regards,

Sam

WengerTodd

Quote from: Sam on January 03, 2020, 08:53:43 PM
Don't think Elizabeth will get the nomination.

She was caught saying on video her kids went to public school, when they went to private for at least most of their upbringing.

I'm not trying to justify it, but if they went to public school for at least a year, she's technically not lying. But she most certainly is behind less than honest, which at best is a misrepresentation.

Quote from: Sam on January 03, 2020, 08:53:43 PM

Why lie?

"The end justifies the means..."

...and likely because a campaign aide probably told her it would make her more relatable.

Sam

Curious if anybody is thinking about saying they are a particular minority race to try to get their kids ahead?

Can parents really be blamed, if we have such a high profile figure do so and get very far ahead in her career and in wealth?

Regards,

Sam