News:

To return to the forum homepage, please click the banner at the top of your browser.

Main Menu

Who else is buying into this tech wreck?

Started by Sam, November 28, 2018, 05:04:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam

Hi Folks,

Tough times for public equity investors right now with big tech names collapsing by 20% - 50% from their highs. But I just can't help myself and bought:

AMZN
NVDA
GOOG
FB
FTEC - Tech Index Fund

All of them have guided for more tepid earnings growth, but their stock prices have gotten hammered way worse than guidance IMO. What am I missing here? I wanted to buy even more TSLA, but the stock has been a huge outperforming in the November meltdown.

Sam
Regards,

Sam

Kalliste

Sam, do you believe a bear market is imminent?  that would be risky then to hold such growth stocks, they will be the first to get hammered when bear signals start to get more precise. Or would you hold them even through a bear with drawdowns that could be >40%...?

Sam

Quote from: Kalliste on November 28, 2018, 05:53:18 AM
Sam, do you believe a bear market is imminent?  that would be risky then to hold such growth stocks, they will be the first to get hammered when bear signals start to get more precise. Or would you hold them even through a bear with drawdowns that could be >40%...?

I don't think a bear market is imminent. But a 30% - 50% correction in these stock prices are portending to a slowdown in earnings. I'm making a bet earnings don't slowdown as much as the stock prices have corrected.

What have you been buying or selling in November and what are your views?
Regards,

Sam

Kalliste

am mostly in market right now but thinking of selling gradually as i am thinking s&p to peak in mid 2019. I have some triple leverage upro/tqqq as well and thus can be risky as we get in final stage of bull market with lots of volatility. I would want to hold cash during next bear market and then after 1.5-2year (typical bear length) buy again closer to bottom and capture next bull. It will be hard to sell some stock i have that had done great (aapl, msft, amzn) so it will be painful selling process :) But not sure i am inclined to live through 40-50% drawdowns we will experience with next bear market that will take all stocks price down with it.

Sam

Xi and Trump agree not to raise tariffs further in 2019. The beginning of December should be a good week for stocks at least! I'm going to use a rally to lighten my weighting after going almost all-in during this most recent downturn. I'm not bullish for 2019.
Regards,

Sam