To return to the forum homepage, please click the banner at the top of your browser.

Main Menu

Should I apply for the $200,000 job?

Started by Ms.Conviviality, June 23, 2020, 06:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic


I wasn't looking for a new position, but came across a job posting for an operations manager within my organization where my experience as an internal auditor would make me well qualified.  I like that this new job would challenge me and allow me to apply all that I've learned in the past 18 years working for my organization. On top of this, the pay is significantly more than my current pay.  It's close to $200,000/year

Here are the dilemmas:

1) As I was reading through the job responsibilities, I had no reservations that I could perform 95% of the job well and would need to learn/improve on the remaining 5%.  However, when I think of how significant the pay is, it makes me nervous that there may be more to the job than I know.  Also, my current title is audit manager which isn't on the same level as an operations manager when it comes to oversight responsibilities.

2) The application requires that I provide references.  I have been working as an internal auditor for the same office since I graduated from college so I do not have professional references outside of my current audit directors.  In the event that I don't get hired into the new position, I worry that my audit directors will think that I am not devoted to the job anymore.  I plan to remain with my organization for the next 12 years to fulfill the pension requirement.  If it were not for this new position, I would not be switching careers.

Should I apply for the position?


Why would you not put your hat in the ring? Internal hires are often chosen over external. Largely because of the lower cost and shorter onboarding process. I would think that your company would like to see the interest from you, rather than you looking at positions elsewhere. As far as the limited professional references, perhaps you should look into joining some organizations in your industry to gain exposure to others. You also don't necessarily have to have references that are exactly aligned with your title. Having work and or personal relationships with people can be leveraged as well.  Also, you should have a relationship with your directors where you can discuss career plans and growth. Part of the process of being a manager is helping to manage other's careers as well. So, if they are not willing to stick up for you, there may be other issues.  Also, if they are not willing to step up for you, then at least you could find out why.

As far as job learning vs having the skill. 80/20 is generally enough in my opinion. If you are 95/5 then you should be a slam dunk. In the end the decisions you will have to make and the results of those will be based on what happens when you get there. Worrying about decisions you might have to make or skills you might not completely have yet is limiting.

To randomly quote Richard Branson, "If somebody offers you an amazing opportunity but you are not sure you can do it, say yes - then learn how to do it later!"

Good Luck.


Why are you waiting go to apply that job. Because risk in every field of work so you can face it and win it.


I am a senior executive at a company (CIO) and I see people move around departments to move up all the time. As an executive team this is actually a good thing. You want to see your committed employees continue to grow and continue to dedicate themselves for your company. Having a background in audit and now moving to operations you can also bring a different take into operations that may be missing right now.

You could also talk to your current management team about the opportunity and let them know you are interested in growing within the organization and that this seems like a good role for you.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
Net Worth and Investments Tracker