Author Topic: My friend bought a new Tesla model 3, I bought Tesla stock  (Read 11999 times)

Cheezus

• Chukanbushi (Intermediate Samurai)
Re: My friend bought a new Tesla model 3, I bought Tesla stock
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2019, 07:31:08 AM »
With electric cars and plug-in hybrids becoming mainstream, how would Tesla keep a strong edge over other makers?

They won't.  Their cars just aren't that good.  I'll rephrase, they are pretty nice for RIGHT NOW.  But how many people would take a bubbly Tesla over a BMW, Mercedes, Audi for a similar price?  Tesla won't be able to outcompete on price and their quality control is notoriously bad, as well as parts and service.  How in the world are they going to outcompete major global automakers who will be putting out phenomenal (better) cars at similar or even better pricing?

I bet within 5 - 10 years, Tesla will sell or go out of business. There will be talk about how they changed the world, are moving in to more of a supply (battery) business, or something like that.  They are riding their wave right now being the best EV company and groundbreaking, but there is no way, not with these type of cars, that they are going to beat better manufacturers making much nicer luxury cars for similar pricing.

Young And The Invested

• Apprentice
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2019, 05:25:01 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me to hear Tesla getting acquired by a major FAANG company or some other tech-focused company with capital to invest.  With considerable investment and focus on execution, Tesla could make the jump.  However, as things stand, I don't see it surviving in its current capacity.
https://youngandtheinvested.com/

Kerplink

• Apprentice
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2019, 07:07:07 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me to hear Tesla getting acquired by a major FAANG company or some other tech-focused company with capital to invest.  With considerable investment and focus on execution, Tesla could make the jump.  However, as things stand, I don't see it surviving in its current capacity.

I don't think Tesla will get acquired by anyone - they are EV's at a time when EV's are getting ready to explode in adoption. I invested in June last year at $184 and think they will be going to new highs soon (currently at $345). Here's why: No matter how much dirt people try to throw at Musk and make it stick, he is actually an amazing driver of innovation and more visionary than Steve Jobs.

The kicker is that he's been relentlessly driving down the cost of manufacturing the Model 3 while increasing volumes dramatically. The naysayers keep talking about hitting the demand limit but even with the kind of production growth they have realized, they still can't meet all the demand. Currently, in the US, there is a 4 week wait for the Model 3. There are still a number of markets where the Model 3 has never been imported. China has huge demand that Tesla has just touched the surface of. With their lowered cost of production and lower warranty costs (due to ever-increasing quality), they are becoming a cash printing machine. The stock price will lead the profit growth as markets are typically forward looking.

The naysayers say existing manufacturers have high-quality EV's ready to come to market any time now and it's going to limit Tesla's ability to grow. I don't see that happening because other manufacturers simply cannot produce comparable EV's at comparable price points to Tesla who have relentlessly driven down the costs of the EV powertrain. The same people said 2018 was the year of the "Tesla Killers". Then they said 2019 would be it. During this time the new, longer-range Nissan Leaf was introduced, the Audi E-tron, the Jaguar iPace and the BMW i3. None of them are price and/or range competitive to the Model 3 or the Model Y which will hit the market in a few months. They cost too much for what you get when you compare it to a Tesla. This isn't just my opinion, it's evident in the low sales of these products that were supposed to be Tesla killers. Also, only Tesla has a well-built out Supercharger network for convenient interstate travel. I haven't heard the greatest things about the Electrify America network so hopefully, they keep improving and expanding it. For the foreseeable future, Tesla doesn't have any significant competition and they will be able to sell every car they make at a profit. I don't see this changing 'next year' like all the anti-Tesla naysayers have been saying for years now.

One other positive about an investment in TSLA at this time: Tesla has recently made two acquisitions that make it pretty clear they are moving to be more vertically integrated in terms of battery supply. This hasn't been confirmed by the company yet but it's one more positive surprise on the horizon that will help supercharge their earnings as they integrate a more cost-effective battery production to their operations. Also, the Tesla Pick-up is slated to be revealed on Nov. 21. For so many reasons this is a very promising time to be invested in TSLA right now.  I have a fairly high level of confidence that TSLA will increase in value 10 fold over the next 5 years.

BTW, I retired almost 20 years ago at age 37 which was made possible solely by investing in disruptive companies. I do my homework and follow the trends very carefully before risking my capital. I have followed Tesla since their initial IPO without being able to pull the trigger due to uncertainties, risks and valuation concerns. This all changed recently due the falling cost curve of BEV drivetrains and Tesla's dominance and excellence as an EV manufacturer. My wife bought a Model 3 in May of last year and it was such a stunningly well designed and built car that I bought one for myself a few months later. We have a total of 30,000 miles on them without a single issue and they drive better and are more convenient than any of the many nice gas cars we've owned. Once we made the switch we wondered why we didn't do it years earlier. The obvious answer is simply that we didn't know what we were were missing! They are better than comparable gas cars in so many profound ways it's ridiculous.

Sam

• Shogun, Administrator
  • Always curious
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2019, 07:11:11 PM »
I’m just glad Tesla stock is final back. What a dog! Lol

Sexy!
Regards,

Sam

Kerplink

• Apprentice
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2019, 11:34:56 PM »
Sam, I'm not sure if you are joking about TSLA stock being a "dog" or if you are just sampling too short of a time period. This has already been the kind of stock that one could retire on. The stock IPO'ed at only $17/share and is up 20 fold since then. For every $100,000 invested just 9 years ago, you would now have $2 million dollars.

IMO, the growth is entering its second major stage and will appreciate to around $4,000/share by 2024. The ride will not be smooth but smoothness is overrated as long as it takes you where you want to be.  8)