Author Topic: Thoughts On RealtyShares Closing Its Doors To New Investors  (Read 465765 times)

mspringer

• Aonisaibushi (Amateur Samurai)
Re: Thoughts On RealtyShares Closing Its Doors To New Investors
« Reply #1340 on: September 01, 2020, 06:42:35 AM »
Appears near full loses will occur across my RS investments.  I wish I had never found Sam's blog on crowdfunding and how he touted RS.

I'm at least (somewhat) hopeful there will be some decent return of capital. And now that we are finally not all lumped in together and each property being treated separately the specifics of each will matter a lot more.

Just reviewing the final 3 deals I'm stuck with:

1. Detroit MSA Dog Haus in Taylor MI. The building was demolished, and roughly 50% of the funds were returned to investors. Another $50K was held back to pay for legal/foreclosure costs. The land was originally valued at nearly $1M almost 4 years ago. They also paid some interest on this one. Worse case scenario of ~40% loss if they get nothing for the land - which isn't going to happen.

2. Louisville MSA Captain D's. Google maps shows the building as fully completed and I "think" this location might have been operational for a bit so the inside might be reasonably put together still. This could be a quick turnaround for a franchiser that can run with the building mostly as is.

3. Coastal Florida Church's Chicken. Same as above; Google maps shows the building as fully completed.

I'm still expecting a decent hit, but I'm hopeful that given the state of at least those 3 deals there's some opportunities for a significant portion of the capital to be returned.

We also have the $195,000 non-refundable deposit from the FG folks. That should at least help offset some of the legal fees. And if nothing else, provide some solace that the FG folks are going to be losing a fair chunk of change.

Fingers crossed; best luck to everyone.

I am down to just Church's Chicken in Apalako (Orlando), FL.  The restaurant opened last Spring but I am not sure what the current status is?  I would assume it is nearly turnkey ready, if it's not actually still open.  I looked at GOALZ website, who were the original company that was going to run it and they do not show it as on their map.  So either they never took it over or it is currently closed.

rs_thoughts

• Apprentice
« Reply #1341 on: September 01, 2020, 06:37:45 PM »
Two years for this result is just terrible. To think, I did RS for diversification purposes and safety (Senior loans) when I could have just stuck it in Tesla or other stock. Sigh.  Opportunity COST is huge. Wishing everybody good luck And health.

Now, if someone could refer me to the best class action lawsuit filing, that would be much appreciated. Adding my name. Thanks

DECA

• Apprentice
« Reply #1342 on: September 02, 2020, 10:21:08 PM »
Appears near full loses will occur across my RS investments.  I wish I had never found Sam's blog on crowdfunding and how he touted RS.

I'm at least (somewhat) hopeful there will be some decent return of capital. And now that we are finally not all lumped in together and each property being treated separately the specifics of each will matter a lot more.

1. Detroit MSA Dog Haus in Taylor MI. The building was demolished, and roughly 50% of the funds were returned to investors. Another $50K was held back to pay for legal/foreclosure costs. The land was originally valued at nearly $1M almost 4 years ago. They also paid some interest on this one. Worse case scenario of ~40% loss if they get nothing for the land - which isn't going to happen.

2. Louisville MSA Captain D's. Google maps shows the building as fully completed and I "think" this location might have been operational for a bit so the inside might be reasonably put together still. This could be a quick turnaround for a franchiser that can run with the building mostly as is.

3. Coastal Florida Church's Chicken. Same as above; Google maps shows the building as fully completed.

I'm still expecting a decent hit, but I'm hopeful that given the state of at least those 3 deals there's some opportunities for a significant portion of the capital to be returned.

We also have the $195,000 non-refundable deposit from the FG folks. That should at least help offset some of the legal fees. And if nothing else, provide some solace that the FG folks are going to be losing a fair chunk of change.

I am down to just Church's Chicken in Apalako (Orlando), FL.  The restaurant opened last Spring but I am not sure what the current status is?  I would assume it is nearly turnkey ready, if it's not actually still open.  I looked at GOALZ website, who were the original company that was going to run it and they do not show it as on their map.  So either they never took it over or it is currently closed.

Louisville Captain D's appears from their website to up and running.  Long Island AFC has been operating for quite some time and, I believe, paying full rent to FG since May 2019.  Seems like IRM hasn't really pushed FG to make payments as required for properties that appear to have been performing.  So it seems that cashflow from some properties was pocketed by FG and used to complete other properties. IRM should not have allowed that.  Even more importantly, RS should've disclosed the key role of Bruce Arinaga in FG.  I certainly would not have invested in any FG deals had I known about his involvement since a simple Google search of him would've revealed his prior bankruptcies.

sdnerd

• Apprentice
« Reply #1343 on: September 03, 2020, 08:42:48 AM »
Louisville Captain D's appears from their website to up and running.  Long Island AFC has been operating for quite some time and, I believe, paying full rent to FG since May 2019.  Seems like IRM hasn't really pushed FG to make payments as required for properties that appear to have been performing.  So it seems that cashflow from some properties was pocketed by FG and used to complete other properties. IRM should not have allowed that.  Even more importantly, RS should've disclosed the key role of Bruce Arinaga in FG.  I certainly would not have invested in any FG deals had I known about his involvement since a simple Google search of him would've revealed his prior bankruptcies.

Different Louisvile Captain D's. The one on their website is 1292 Shelbyville Rd. The FS one is 1709 Midland Trail, Shelbyville. If you pull it up on street view in Google Maps it appears built out. And it's listed as Coming Soon on Goalz's site:

https://www.goalzllc.com/all_map_locations/all-captain-s-location-1/

I actually read one of the class action complaints this morning; had some additional details I wasn't aware of. Frightening.

http://securities.stanford.edu/filings-documents/1072/RI1700_17/2020117_f01c_20CV10107.pdf

Appears several law firms announced class actions, but I'm not sure if any are moving forward/etc. If anyone has any additional information that would be appreciated; I would like to join in.

DECA

• Apprentice
« Reply #1344 on: September 11, 2020, 06:37:15 PM »

Different Louisvile Captain D's. The one on their website is 1292 Shelbyville Rd. The FS one is 1709 Midland Trail, Shelbyville. If you pull it up on street view in Google Maps it appears built out. And it's listed as Coming Soon on Goalz's site:

https://www.goalzllc.com/all_map_locations/all-captain-s-location-1/

I actually read one of the class action complaints this morning; had some additional details I wasn't aware of. Frightening.

http://securities.stanford.edu/filings-documents/1072/RI1700_17/2020117_f01c_20CV10107.pdf

Appears several law firms announced class actions, but I'm not sure if any are moving forward/etc. If anyone has any additional information that would be appreciated; I would like to join in.

I think the law firm that was certified to represent the class is:

Shapiro Haber & Urmy LLP
2 Seaport Lane
Boston, MA 02210
Telephone: (617) 439-3939
Facsimile: (617) 439-0134

I believe that Ian McLaughlin is the attorney there who is actively handling the case.
imcloughlin@shulaw.com

supportingmaps

• Aonisaibushi (Amateur Samurai)
« Reply #1345 on: September 17, 2020, 09:33:06 AM »
Good luck you all. I am on a REIT and I'm glad I haven't lost my money. In any investing consideration I spread my money around so I don't suffer huge losses.
I help market for small businesses FREE of charge:
www.supportingmaps.com

berkel

• Apprentice
« Reply #1346 on: September 17, 2020, 03:22:01 PM »
My only FG deal is the AFC in Largo, FL.  I hope you're right and we get another 20%.  I'll chalk it upto a life lesson.

I just got ominous news on my other openRealtyShares deal:

Castle Court Apartments Seattle 2nd Lien Tranche 2

The lender is having difficulty getting financing.  Shocking I know.  Don't know why I thought a 2nd Lien was a good idea, but hope I can get all of the principal or at least a decent chunk.

GLTA and stay safe!

My 3 are:

1 urgent care ISLIP: this investment has paid a bit of interest at beginning (10%) and then nothing. The urgent care facility is operating, i guess it will foreclose for a decent return considering its up and running. Strange that it has to foreclose since it is open (?) however i would expect a loss of 50% here.

2 urgent care LARGO: this returned already 50% of invested capital between interests and reimbursement. I am hoping to recover another 20%...nothing was ever built here

3 taco in MICHIGAN : exact same as 2

barnold24

• Apprentice
« Reply #1347 on: September 18, 2020, 09:33:31 AM »
Lucky me, first time in 14 years the Sponsor ever had a bad investment and I got to be in it.

Dear Investors,

I regret to inform you on July 17th, 2020, 2001 Anderson Ferry Rd was transferred back to the bank via a Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure (“DIL”, aka “friendly foreclosure”) process. This has resulted in a total loss of all invested capital remaining for all investors. We exhausted all options to save this property for you, and this step was only taken as a last resort after the failure to raise additional capital to meet the needs of Tri-health’s lease renewal, the negotiations for a loan modification, or short sale with the lender failed. I understand how disappointed you all are.
While we cannot look at this investment as anything other than a disappointment, I hope you can find some comfort in the fact that we returned 52% of your initial investment through monthly distributions until the end of 2019. The other benefits of the Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure process is that it allowed us to avoid time-consuming and costly foreclosure proceedings and, in the end, absolved us of over $3.8M of debt.

Just for context, this investment is the first in Mascia Development LLC’s 14-year history that investors lost their capital. I also wished to clarify that all members of the sponsor and the manager lost 100% of their money, the same as you, there was no special treatment for anyone. I understand that I have lost your trust through this outcome. The specific outcome of this property is a large part of why I decided to shut Mascia Development LLC down last month.

Also, my e-mail from a couple of weeks ago to all investors, past and present, may have created some confusion which I wanted to clear up. I am still the manager of Anderson Ferry Rd 2001 LLC via AFR 2001 Manager LLC and Mascia Development LLC. In addition, I personally guaranteed the loan on this property.

To further clarify, Ed Peete did not purchase Mascia Development LLC. He purchased an interest in various partnerships from Mascia Development LLC and other entities that have allowed him to take control of the future direction of those partnerships.

There was a Global Settlement and Release Agreement between Ed Peete, me, and several other members of the manager limited liability companies. Nothing in the Global Agreement or the partnership purchases were related to Anderson Ferry Rd 2001 LLC (this investment).

As my previous correspondence noted the entire Mascia Development LLC team has moved on to other jobs, and I have retired from Mascia Development LLC. I am in the process of shutting down the company completely. I wish you all well in future endeavors and thank you for your trust in us up to this point.