One of the most anticipated NBA free-agent announcements came when Lebron told the world he’s heading to South Beach to play for the Miami Heat. Of the six teams coveting him, really only three stood a chance: Miami, Cleveland, and New York City for obvious reasons. The other three teams: Chicago, LAC, and New Jersey will just be footnotes and forgotten.
What’s most interesting is not Lebron’s decision to make millions of dollars less to join two guys he thinks he can win championships with. Instead, Lebron’s decision to completely spurn President Obama is what really gets me thinking! No less than seven times has President Obama made a public statement insisting that Lebron join the Chicago Bulls. As you know, Obama was the Senator of Illinois before he became President. Many pundits also believe that Chicago is a better candidate for Lebron to win championships with Carlos Boozer, Luol Deng, Derrick Rose, Brad Miller, and Joakim Noah. But, nope. Not Lebron.
If Lebron James, who is a huge Obama fan, doesn’t even listen to Obama’s words, why should the general public? It wasn’t like Obama was saying go to the Minnesota Timberwolves where they have a snowball’s chance in hell of winning. Chicago is a seriously legitimate team if not the best choice!
FIVE REASONS WHY LEBRON DOESN’T LISTEN TO PRESIDENT OBAMA
* Relationships are most important. Lebron, Dwayne, and Chris created an amazing relationship after winning gold metals in the Beijing Olympics. Their friendship transcends money, which jives well with the theory that money can’t bring happiness but friends can.
* Location matters. Let’s face it. Chicago is a crappy place to live 6 months of the year. Why on Earth would Lebron decide to move from crappy weather Cleveland to crappy weather Chicago? He might as well stay in Cleveland! Ever wonder why it wouldn’t be easier to get Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh to go to Cleveland? It’s because Cleveland is a hard place to live unless you have family there. If you’re going to make a move, you might as well go all out and either move to Miami or LA because we all know that weather in NYC and NJ is horrendous as well.
* Charity is a good thing. At the end of the interview with ESPN, Lebron announced he is donating all proceeds raised from the “The Decision” to the Boys & Girls Club he’s so intricately involved in. With President Obama limiting the tax break for charity deduction to 28%, that penalizes those in the higher income tax brackets who are the onse who make up the majority of this country’s donations! The clear repercussion of this proposed legislation is that giving will decline by billions at the margin.
* Just say NO to discrimination. With President Obama allowing for an even higher progressive tax system, he is saying it is OK to discriminate against people based on their income. If you worked hard and spent an extra 8 years of your life after college to become a physician and make $500,000, the Democrats believe it’s OK to tax you 39.6%. Meanwhile, if you decide to goof off in school, not study and make $25,000 a year for the rest of your life, you are rewarded by only paying 15% in Federal income tax.
* Lower taxes is the result of fiscal prudence. Although Lebron has to pay 39.6% on his mega millions a year, he won’t have to pay state tax, which is a 10% savings compared to playing in California or New York, and a 6% savings compared to staying in Cleveland. If you make conservatively $50 million a year after endorsements, you’re saving $5 million in state taxes a year!
It’s been a year and a half since President Obama came to office and some people are getting tired of rhetoric. We’ve had a great recovery in the financial markets, but our employment outlook still looks murky. We are spending record amounts of money on government programs, yet the government tells other people to practice financial austerity. Federal government employees are raking it in with recession proof jobs and rising wages. Lebron has lost faith in the President and his ability to help out the Midwest and his home state of Ohio. As a result, he no longer listens, so why are you?
Readers, has anybody else lost faith in our President and his promises?
For basketball fans, did Lebron make the right choice going to Miami?
Why do you still not play or follow sports when America is a nation of sports enthusiasts?
** Very few people can claim to have worked in one job for 7 consecutive years right out of school. So before you go bashing Lebron for his decision, like Cleveland Owner Dan Gilbert who just lost hundreds of millions in franchise value, take a look at your own track record.
Sam @ Financial Samurai – “Slicing Through Money’s Mysteries”
Follow on Twitter @FinancialSamura and subscribe to our RSS or E-mail feed.