We’re Ignorant Idiots! Please Tell Us Why A Flat Tax Is Not Fair

Can someone please give us a rational argument why implementing a Flat Tax system in America is not fair? We don’t know if we can continue posting without thoroughly understanding this issue first. From a percentage basis, each person pays an equal amount of their income towards taxes, and from an absolute basis, richer people pay more!

Why don’t we just start taxing people according to height? The shorter you are, the more you have to pay! Brilliant idea, thanks.  Here’s a commentary from a site that really got me thinking about the word “comrade” and the phrase “melt your pots for bullets.”

Those of you rich folks in the top 35% tax bracket (~$380,000 and higher) need to stop whining. You don’t get to whine. I hope this administration taxes the beejesus out of you all…it’s time you paid your fair share and get with the program. It’s only fair the wealthy pay more out of their millions and billions of dollars to subsidize the rest of us who need it the most. We are struggling in this recession and it’s time to fix the problem – by taxing the rich!

Gee whiz, last I checked, we live in America not North Korea. Why people believe it’s fair to tax one class of citizen a higher percentage than another confuses us. Is this not a pure form of discrimination? Fine, let’s agree that anybody below the poverty line of $25,000 for a family of four ($10,000 for a single person) are exempt from all income taxation.

Here’s a reasonable 15% Flat Tax Example:

“Poor” Man Income: $50,000 / year.

“Rich” Man Income: $1,000,000 / year.

How much does the poor and rich man pay as a percentage of their income? 15% each = equality!

How much tax does the poor man pay in absolute dollars? $7,500.

How much tax does the rich man pay in absolute dollars? $ 150,000

———-> The rich man earns 20X more than the poor man, but also pays 20X more than poor man in taxes!  Equality!

Let’s put a twist to this example.  Let’s say the rich man is a 50 year old ER doctor who saves lives every single day.  He spent 15 years after high school studying, and $300,000 in tuition to become a doctor.  Is it right to reward this doctor who studied harder than most of the population with a higher tax rate just because he makes $1 million a year?

One could argue this doctor deserves a tax holiday, or should spend regressively less on his taxes.  But then, the honorable $50,000/yr school teacher says she’s helping people too, and should pay less taxes as well.  It gets complicated, but not with a flat tax!

CONCLUSION – Let’s Stop Discriminating

Should we tax everybody who makes more than us an even greater amount than we are taxed to help subsidize our own living?  Should I buy the domain name: “Financial Socialist Samurai of America?” We are craving for rational reasons from the personal finance community as to why the flat tax is not fair. Everybody understands racism and bigotry is bad. Why then do we accept discriminating against income levels?

Mathematically, the flat tax makes perfect sense and expunges words such as “should, fair, subsidize” from the tax argument.  What the government has is a serious spending problem, and Obama needs to hire Financial Samurai as an economic advisor.  The first thing we’ll tell him is the mother of all personal finance advice: spend less than you earn!

We have a monster budget deficit due to reckless spending and this must stop. The second thing we’ll tell Obama is: discrimination is illegal! Damn, maybe we shouldn’t have revealed the secrets, for now it’ll be hard to make millions from the government.

Recommendations For Increasing Your Wealth

* Manage Your Finances In One Place. Get a handle on your finances by signing up with Personal Capital. They are a free online platform which aggregates all your financial accounts in one place so you can see where you can optimize. Before Personal Capital, I had to log into eight different systems to track 28 different accounts (brokerage, multiple banks, 401K, etc) to track my finances. Now, I can just log into Personal Capital to see how my stock accounts are doing, how my net worth is progressing, and whether I’m spending within budget. The best is their 401K FEE ANALYZER which is now saving me over $1,000 a year in portfolio fees I had no idea I was paying. If you are interested, they can even provide tailored financial advice for much cheaper than traditional wealth managers. It only takes a minute to sign up!

* Do Your Own Taxes. I’ve been doing my own taxes with H&R Block At Home for the past ten years. H&R Block is so easy to use, anybody can do their own taxes with their step by step guide with audit protection plan. The program has consistently found thousands of extra dollars in tax savings I did not realize I could have. Why bother paying an account hundreds of dollars when you can learn more about your financials, find extra tax savings, and do it all from the comfort of your own home? Get the H&R Block At Home Online Free Edition.

Sam, Financial Samurai – “Slicing Through Money’s Mysteries”

Comments

I’m with you on this one. Then again, I am middle-class so I always feel gypped when I move up in my income and have to pay more.

A flat tax is a good idea, but we live with the society norm that people who earn more should pay more (even as a %)…

Even with charities or donations. Someone earning $20,000 gives a $10 bill, then someone who earns $100,00 should give a $50 bill.

At least, that’s what I’ve heard from some people.

Great food for thought. I only wish it were real.. :)

Hi FB! Good to hear from you and thanks for your thoughts. There’s one place I know where a flat tax is real, and that’s in Hong Kong with a 15% tax! If you’re a foreigner who lives in HK, the first $80,000 is tax free too. The last I checked, HK’s budget is doing pretty well, and their economy is rebounding quite nicely!

I’m middle class too and sometimes shed a tear when I look at my bi-weekly income tax bill. Where do my tax dollars go? Hard to keep track. My property tax bill for some reason shot up by 12% this year. How can the city gov’t think property prices really rose that much?

The more people make, the more people become targets by the government. It’s like higher income earners are being targeted and hunted down like animals. I don’t feel bad for rich people. I just feel rich people are unfairly persecuted sometimes and in this case, every two weeks!

Thnx for stopping by!

FS

2. Geek says

You are compensated by your workplace with taxes in mind already. Taxes have been around long enough for this to be the case. So really, your boss thinks you’ll continue working for him for (Salary-taxes) rather than (Salary).

@Geek Eh? Don’t get it. If you work in a corporation, the corporation doesn’t pay your income taxes, you do. We should seperate the government’s will vs. the corporations will. Focus on the tax payer first… and then we can focus on the corporation’s tax liability.

4. Geek says

In answer to the fairness question: I’m not convinced of fairness or non-fairness of any system so far.

@The Genius
    Anywho-
    I oversimplified too much. The business you work for (yourself, small business, corporation, etc), over time, is forced by the market to compensate employees based on how much tax the employees pay. Payroll taxes are another matter from income taxes.

When you accept a job offer, do you not take into account all costs, including income taxes? Admittedly, at certain types of employment and certain salary ranges you have a lot less flexibility to negotiate these things, but over time people will leave an area or a company if compensation is not enough to pay all of their costs (including taxes).
    The people least able to leave are the poorest, those closest to the poverty line.
    Companies compensate based on cost of living and how desirable you are in the job. Cost of living includes taxes. At higher salary ranges, since taxes (a cost) are more, you are compensated more.
    This is still too simple, not taking into account things like poorer people having to spend more on necessities, but I think it’s better.

@Geek I agree about what you’re saying regarding what the market does to compensate employees, but I do not take into consideration income taxes before accepting a job. Why? Because income taxes are mandated by the government, regardless of where you work, and is a fixed variable.

Working at McDonald’s for $10/hr and at Best Buy for $10/hr, for example is the same from a tax perspective. Instead, I’d focus on the benefits like free cheesburgers or discounted big screen TVs!

6. Shakela says

This is great! I think a flat tax would also reduce a lot of the costs associated with filing taxes, audits, etc. Plus it evens things out for those who live in higher cost areas, they get better pay but they’re taxed more. (On multiple fronts because of property taxes as well).

Hi Shakela – Thank you! Living in New York City Manhattan for example costs a boat load more than living in Des Moines, Iowa. Hopefully, wages reflect the cost differential, but taxes are still the same for like earners. Don’t get me started about property tax. How did mine jump 15% this year in the great depression is beyond me! FS

7. Dar says

I’ve always thought a flat tax was inherently fair! What’s not fair about somebody who nets 10x what you net paying 10x the tax?

Part of me wonders if the voting public is just so bad at math they think taxing people at the same rate doesn’t reflect that.

Hi Dar – Cool, glad to have you on board. The voting public may very well be that bad at math, it is a good theory! I know I couldn’t and wouldn’t do math after pre-calculus. I felt there was no point! What am I gonna do, differential equations while buying groceries?! :) FS

8. BG says

The only fair “flat tax” is a “flat wealth tax” — tax 3% of everyone’s net-worth, and do away with income taxes completely.

BG – just doing the prelim calculation for myself, I love that idea! However, it may be too complicated to calculate one’s “net worth” as I think the entire calculation is a bunch of baloney :)

It’s harder to fake ur income than it is to fake ur net worth too.

You words are music to my ears! But I think you need to clarify your position a little more. Is the 15% the only federal tax we will pay? Or are we still stuck with FICA, excise taxes and corporate taxes (interest, dividends, capital gains and rents). Unless these are included everyone’s total tax rate will be much higher than it is today!

Only to be a devils advocate, there are too many liberals that believe it would be unfair to the lower income population. Relatively speaking (relative to their tax burden today) this may be the case. While you have excluded the “impoverished” in your example there are still thousands above this line that pay a lot less than 15% in taxes.

However, if you can benefit from the system you should have to pay into the system, period! A person at or near the poverty line will receive benefits of much greater value than they ever pay into the system, I don’t see how that can’t be fair.

@Greg I’m just talking about the Federal Income tax here, and 15% was just a number I threw out there since Hong Kong has a 15% flat tax, and their economy is doing quite well.

Hard to govern individual states and what they do with their budgets, and all the other tax stuff well, I think that’s more a problem of spending. If we can spend less and more efficiently, taxes should go down.

Best, FS

Morning World! I find it interesting there are at least 4 thumbs downs for this post yet I still haven’t seen a rational comment as to why the flat tax system is bad or unfair. Negative comments welcome!

Also, anybody know what’s up with the Tweet thing? Still says zero, even though the have been a number of tweets and retweets. Ahhhh, technology.

13. BG says

@admin
    Not too hard to calculate Networths. For property taxes we already have appraisal boards, no big deal there. Most other wealth is in 401ks, or other investment accounts at financial institutions, so those accounts are calculated daily already. For autos or other items of any real value: go by the insurance-coverage amounts. For all the other little stuff (furniture/etc), it might not even be worth trying to tax it, but again, we can go by home-insurance/renter coverages for those items that are included in each policy.

The big issue would be trying to tax people who physically own gold or other similar things, ie; people specifically purchasing gold to avoid the tax. If they don’t “insure” their physical gold, then too bad for them if they get robbed.

Anyhow, if you like the idea of the “fair-wealth tax” idea, then your eyes should be opened to see how “fair” our current system actually is, and how horrible an idea it would be for a flat-income-tax (which would be highly regressive: taxing low-wealth people more).

@BG
    Nothing is entirely fair in world, but as I was trying to point out in my article, if there’s a flat tax on a guy making $50k/yr, and $1mil a yr, they are paying the same percentage of their income to tax, and the guy making $1mil a year is paying 20X more. Mathematically, it’s totally fair… a truism if you will.

That said, please help me understand how a flat-income-tax structure is regressive. I have a feeling it’s b/c someone making less, even though they are paying less in absolute income to tax, have it tougher b/c there are basic necessities to spend on, but I’d still love to hear your point. I’m just trying to get educated as much as possible before we move on to another post.

For the net worth tax, there are just too many variables to calculate. Let’s just stick with one variable, people’s gross incomes. Part of the reason for a flat tax is to extricate the waste (time and money) spent to do one’s taxes. I have a feeling the tax coompanies have mega lobbyists.

15. BG says

@admin
    Let me try with adding a little more information with your example:

Poor Man: $50k income, with networth of $100k
    Rich Man: $1mill income, with networth of $2 billion.

Poor man under flat-income tax is paying taxes equal to 7.5% of his networth.
    Rich man under flat-income tax is paying taxes equal to 0.0075% of his networth.

A flat-income tax is highly regressive in that people who are least-able to pay, are paying more.

With a flat-wealth tax @ 3%, we would get:

Poor man pays $3k in taxes instead of $7.5k in taxes
    Rich man pays $60million in taxes instead of (laughable) $150k in taxes

If the government only needed $157.5k in tax money, then of course the flat-networth tax rate should be reduced down to accommodate that. The basic idea though is that the rich person who has 99.995% of the wealth in our two-man country, would be paying 99.995% of the taxes.

@BG
    Ah, sounds good. So you are saying the flat tax on NET WORTH is regressive. I can see that from your example. So, in this net worth calculation, if the rich person who owns 99.995% of the wealth is paying 99.995% of the taxes, that sounds pretty darn fair in this two man country, which is exactly your point right?

But, what about just simple a flat tax on gross income regardless of your net worth? This is where I don’t fully understand why a flat tax isn’t totally fair. Yes, a person with a billion in gold bars and a $20,000 a yr income may pay less taxes than a $1mil/yr income earner with only $500,000 in net worth, but at least a flat tax on gross income is a step in the right direction…… no?

BTW, gotta go to a client event at Harding Park and watch the President’s Cup now… so I’ll be awol for the day as they don’t allow cell phones. But, I will get back to you when I return! You bring up some excellent points. Shoot me an e-mail sometime. Perhaps u want to do a guest post! ciao

17. BG says

@admin
    “…So you are saying the flat tax on NET WORTH is regressive….”
    no, the flat-tax on income is regressive, the flat-tax on networth is fair.

“So, in this net worth calculation, if the rich person who owns 99.995% of the wealth is paying 99.995% of the taxes, that sounds pretty darn fair in this two man country, which is exactly your point right?”
    absolutely, it is fair for the person who has the majority of the wealth to pay the majority of the taxes — every man pays the exact same rate of taxes based on their personal wealth. How is this not fair? I love to see a rich person try to rationalize / justify this one, though my comment is not directly aimed at you (admin) cause I don’t know if you are rich or not.

“But, what about just simple a flat tax on gross income regardless of your net worth?”
    because that is highly regressive: poor man is paying taxes of 7.5% of his networth, while richman gets off with only paying taxes of 0.0075% taxes of his networth. Person least able to pay is paying more == regressive taxation by definition.

“but at least a flat tax on gross income is a step in the right direction…… no?”
    No!, a flat-tax on income is a step in the _wrong_ direction. All it will do is increase taxes on poor, while decreasing it on the rich. If anything, we should stick with our current system because it is more “fair” than the flat-tax on income idea.

Good debate, and have fun on the trip!

BG – Typo on my part on whether net worth tax is regressive since I just proved my point the very next paragraph.

Ill have to disagree with ur argument here. We can keep taxes the same for the “poor”, but I don’t think it’s fair to tax people who make more, a higher percentage. You’re making an argument about that taxes on the poor will go up under a flat tax system. That is simply not the case as math will show. It is not fair to tax the higher income people more bc that is discrimination. It seems like you don’t think so, and it’s really about arguing against equality.

I did the networth tax calculation and I will be paying way less in taxes than simply a flat tax calculation. Hence, I’m a proponent of course!

Ciao

19. BG says

@admin
    I’m not seeing it the way you are. A flat-tax on networth is not taxing anyone more or less than anyone else — everybody would pay the exact same tax rate based on their wealth (3%).

Now, a flat-tax on income will tax people differently / unfairly, when put into the light of the wealth/networth of the people. Of course, if you ignore the networth, then it is hard to see, but with my example, it should be pretty clear methinks. A 15% income-tax on someone earning $1mill with a networth of $2bil is only taxing them 0.0075%, while the poor guy is paying taxes at 7.5%. That is a HUGE difference. What do you mean it is not fair to tax people with higher incomes (like our current system). The people with higher incomes have higher networths, so they are not really paying more if you look at their networths.

I am not saying any group should be discriminated against — nobody should pay more or less _relative_ to their networth: looking at just their income only muddies the waters — income means nothing, however networth/wealth means everything.

If we go with your argument (pro flat-income tax), then the poor person who only has 0.005% of the wealth should pay about 5% of the taxes — that is _not_fair_.

BG – Who knows what people’s net worth is? Some could be 31 years old, 3 yrs out of business school making $500,000 / year at a private equity shop but has minimal net worth due to age and debt. The guy shouldn’t be paying a higher percentage. Progressive tax makes people not want to get more education, work harder, and do more.

A net worth tax is not feasible even though it’s awesome for a high income earner with minimum net worth. A flat tax on income is the best way to go.

@BG
    This is absolutely TOTALLY wrong BG. Believe it or not, many people who make $250,000-$350,000 in America are just middle class. They’re struggling to get by just like the rest of us b/c it’s most likely they are living in high tax states, and America’s most expensive cities like New York and San Francisco. They’ve got school debt, a mortgage, and their kids education to pay for.

I totally agree with FS that taxing one income level greater than another as a percentage is discrimination. Your $2 billion net worth example for the “rich man” is totally off. I know you’re trying to make a point, but it fails. Even a multi-millionaire i

We should encourage hard work and freedom, not malaise and sloth. I’m assuming you don’t make much more than $250,000, which drives your points of view. If you ever do make more, I’m absolutely sure your view will change b/c you’ll realize the more you make the more you feel like you’re going backwards.

22. BG says

@The Genius
    The Genius: If someone makes as income $350k and has ZERO networth, then they would pay ZERO in taxes under a flat-networth tax.

If someone else has $2 billion in networth (from an inheritance for example), but ZERO in income, they would still pay $60mill a year in taxes (3% of $2bill).

The principle is simple, just like property taxes: if you are hoarding wealth and can’t “grow” it at least 3%, then it will go to somebody else who can. If you own property and can’t afford to pay 3% taxes on it, then the property _will_ go to somebody else who can make better use of the property.

Flat-tax on wealth is taxation that punishes “inefficient hoarders”, and rewards the people who are hard workers or otherwise make better use of the resources — it is pure capitalism.

@BG
    Ah, I’m back. Nice to see “The Genius” chime in too. Ok, i think we’re good. A net worth tax sounds quite reasonable, and I would much prefer this over the current progressive tax system. too bad implementing such a system has only a slightly better snowball’s chance in hell to get implemented! :)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts BG. I appreciate the insight. As I strongly believe, education is key, and reverting back to the title of this post, I feel LESS like an idiot at the end of the day, compared to the beginning of the day!

Financial Samurai

24. BG says

I agree, changing our tax-code to be a purely “flat-networth tax” will never happen. But guess what, having property taxes, “progressive” income taxes, and a positive inflation rate is pretty darn close to the “flat-networth tax”, so I don’t mind the current system at all.

Until the government dares to spend less on Military, Medicaire, and Education… our taxes will NEVER go lower than they are now (we’re close to all time lows actually), and the rich will always pay a greater % of their income to taxes. The beast is already in motion, and is impossible to stop.

Alright, in the name of advancing a good conversation, I’ll attempt to play devil’s advocate (or at least, try to punch a few holes in the flat tax is the best system idea). First, attempting to make a tax system fair is tricky, as ‘fair’ is such a subjective word. Rather than being something you can easily measure, it’s a moral judgment, which will depend on an individual’s sense of right and wrong. Depending on your moral feelings and beliefs, what is ‘fair’ to someone else might be completely ‘unfair’ to you.

Let’s look at an example of another ‘fair’ tax system to get a feel for this. Let’s say the government decides to replace all federal taxes with a single per capita tax, set at about $10,000 (what the government would need from each of us to meet its annual budget, by my back of envelope calculations). It’s ‘fair’ in that everyone in the country will have to pay the same amount, including you, me, Donald Trump, and poor man on the end of the block. But, obviously our ability to pay will be very different. Someone making one million dollars a year will barely notice the ten thousand missing, someone making $50,000 will feel the loss but still have plenty of money remaining, and someone making $10,000 will watch as the government quite literally takes his whole paycheck. Even though this system would be fair (by the standard of taking an equal amount from each person), it doesn’t mean it would be an ideal tax system.

Which brings me to my next point: mathematical even-handedness isn’t the only concern when designing a tax system. If it was, I’d gladly concede that it’s hard to make a ‘fairer’ tax system than a flat tax on income from all sources (although, that net worth tax BG keeps mentioning sounds promising, as well). Instead, the designers of the tax system also attempt to: promote desirable behavior (which is why mortgage interest is tax deductible and why IRA accounts exist), drive financial investment (hence the lower long term capital gains tax) and maximize taxpayer utility (the ability of the income to satisfy the [taxpayer's] needs).

This last point, utility, is a major reason that liberals (and for the record, I definitely lean that way, even if I don’t go so far as to call myself a liberal in many areas) support a progressive rather than a flat tax. Taking 15% of the income from a family of four earning $30,000 a year will have a much bigger negative impact on their standard of living than taking the same percentage from someone earning one million each year. Indeed, because the difference in utility between $25,500 and $28,500 is so much greater than the utility between say, $850,000 and $750,000, it makes sense to create a tax system where someone grossing $30,000 each year only pays 5% and someone earning one million pays out 25%.

This utility issue (or perhaps their own sense of ‘fairness’) is one reason why most flat tax plans include a healthy exemption or ‘negative income tax’ that offsets the tax paid by lower income taxpayers. A typical set up is having the tax set at a particular rate (let’s say 15%, to stay consistent) but only applying that tax to income above a set amount (say, $20,000). A family of four grossing $30,000, for example, would pay only $1500 (15%*$10,000) or 5% of their income in this scheme, while a family earning $100,000 would pay $12,000 ($80,000*15%), 12% of their gross income. Thus, most flat tax plans are actually progressive in nature. (Yours is not, since everyone earning above the minimums you set will pay the full 15% in taxes. However, this means that everyone earning just below your minimum for full taxation has no incentive to earn more, unless they can earn enough to offset the now applicable taxes and still have more income than they had before. That’s another of those goals of a good tax system: not creating disincentives to more work.)

Finally, a brief (no, really) note on discrimination and income. There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding of how tax brackets actually work, and I think that might be the source of some confusion. The tax bracket you are in represents the tax you pay on the LAST dollar of taxable income, not the percentage you pay on all your taxable income. The ER doctor and teacher given in your example both pay the EXACT same amount in taxes on their first $50,000 in taxable income. It’s only on the first dollar he earns more than the teacher that increases the amount he owes in taxes above how much she owes, which would occur regardless of whether we have a flat tax system or the current progressive tax. If he really wants to pay the same amount in taxes as her, there are ways he can reduce his income to match hers (such as giving $950,000 away each year to qualified charities), all of which are within his power. (Apologies to those who already understood tax brackets; but this seems to be a sticking point in most people’s minds.)

You might argue that it is not FAIR that the doctor pays a higher percentage of his taxes than the teacher. You might further claim that both teacher and doctor SHOULD pay exactly the percentage in taxes (although, as already noted, no flat tax plan currently in consideration, save for the Financial Samurai’s, would actually cause them to do so). But that goes back to the first point I made; what’s fair is subjective, and it depends on who is doing the judging. I think a progressive tax (a genuinely progressive tax, without all the loopholes and tax dodges inherent in our current system) would be very fair; you are certainly entitled to disagree, and maintain that a completely flat tax is the best system. Hopefully, I’ve at least made a thought-provoking point or two about fairness and taxes (and resisted the urge to call anyone an idiot in the process).

The first problem is that people, for some reason, think that the rich pay excessive taxes. I pay a higher percentage of my income to federal income taxes then the richest Americans.

400 Richest Americans (2006 data):

Adjusted Gross Income $105,300,000,000 — Average/pp $263,306,000
    Capital Gains taxed at Lower Rate $67,600,000,000 — Average/pp $169,020,000

Income Taxes Paid $18,100,000 — Average/pp $45,216,000

That is an effective tax rate of 17.2% (45/263)

This is the lowest it has been since 1992.

The next question is: Who derives the most value from what we spend taxes on? For example:

-Military — Largely a protector of corporate interests, someone with a net worth of $5 billion has a lot more to lose than me
    -Roads — People with higher net worths most likely depend on good infrastructure so that commerce can thrive and they can make money. I rely on it so I can get to work and make those people more money.

You can pretty much go line by line and show that the wealthy have a vested interest and more to lose. There are some cases where that isn’t true… and they make sure to vocalize their opinions when that happens.

Oh, and to give a little more data:

When you account for federal, state, and local taxes, in 2008:

The bottom 99% paid: 29.4%
    The top 1% paid: 30.9%

Once you get above $40-50,000 in income, the effective tax rates are virtually flat.

@Roger
    Wow, what a great comment and response! Roger, you win the award for longest comment at Financial Samurai! :) I honestly don’t think anybody will be able to beat your post for a while.

First, thanks for pointing out the difference between effective tax rate and marginal tax rate. I agree, too many folks probably think that the highest marginal tax rate pertains to ALL their income, instead of just the income above a certain level. Effective tax rates are often much lower.

Second, clearly, I disagree with having everybody pay a fixed tax bill of $10,000 as you mentioned b/c that seriously isn’t fair to lower income earners.

Third, your utility argument is spot on, and why I mentioned in the beginning that we should definitely agree to ELIMINATE any taxes below the poverty line ($25,000 for family of 4, $10,000 for a single person etc).

Thanks for stopping by, and we really appreciate your thoughts and input!

Financial Samurai

@MLR
    Good to hear from you man! I agree, it’s all about protecting big bad corporate interest groups, and therefore the wealthy may very well benefit the most from our tax dollars. The big guys at Citigroup, for example surely are!

I’m going to have to disagree with you on your last statement regarding after $50,000, effective tax rates are virtually flat. Maybe in massive aggregate, they are, but not for individuals and real life examples such as myself.

I’ve made $3.30/hr, and I’ve made a lot more than that, and at least from my standpoint, I am paying a lot more in absolute dollars and as a percentage of my income. When I was working for $3.30/hr, I remember thinking it wasn’t fair that million dollar incomes were being taxed at 50%+ all in (fed/state), b/c I wanted to make a million dollars a year one day myself.

It’s great you’ve stopped by. Good stuff!

Financial Samurai

31. BG says

@MLR
    MLR: excellent point on the effective tax rates for the “ultra-rich”. You can thank good ‘ol George Bush Jr. for that one — through his $600 billion tax break for the rich in 2003. The “ultra-rich” get the vast majority of their income as dividends, which are taxed only at 15%, hence the effective tax rates for the “ultra-rich” is less than the effective tax rates for people who earn incomes.

@admin

You can disagree, but the data speaks for itself. Once you get above the $40-50,000 per year I mentioned, the effective tax rates are all between 28% and 31%. That is counting local, state, and fed taxes as I said.

I don’t really find a way to dispute that.

The lower income group goes as low as I think a 20% effective tax rate. Not sure… the data isn’t in front of me.

Good discussion.

Federal, State, and Local Taxes in 2008

Income Percentile / Avg Income / Effective Tax Rate

Lowest 20% / $12,000 / 18.7%
    Second 20% / $24,500 / 22.3%
    Middle 20% / $40,000 / 27%
    Fourth 20% / $66,100 / 30%
    Next 10% / $101,000 / 31.5%
    Next 5% / $144,000 / 32.2%
    Next 4% / $253,000 / 32.1%
    Next 1% / $1,445,000 / 30.9%

If you average out all of the bottom 99%:
    Average income is $56,500 and effective tax rate is 29.4%

People make it seem like our tax system is progressive. I just don’t see it once you get past the $40,000 mark.

@MLR
    We can’t just average people out because we all pay a different effective tax rate.

I have to venture to guess the reason why you don’t see a progressive tax rate is because you don’t make over $200,000, let alone $137,000 where you really start feeling the pain of higher taxes. Please correct me if I’m wrong, as I mean no offense.

I have gone through every single tax bracket in my career, from $15,000/yr to over $500,000/yr and I can tell you straight up from experience that it isn’t a much uglier picture when it was time to pay taxes at the higher end of the income spectrum.

No offense taken. I am currently in the “fourth 20%” bracket and have been in each lower bracket. My parents are in the “next 5%” bracket so I see how their numbers work out, too.

And what do you mean you can’t just “average” people out? That is the only way to make an argument when you are talking about 300 million people. Some will pay less, some will pay more, but in the end.. the average gives us a decent picture of what the -average- person in that bracket is paying.

There really is no disputing the fact that when you look at federal, state, and local taxes… the rich are not being taxed into oblivion. They are being taxed at the same rate as the middle class. You will always have your outliers in every bracket.

When you say uglier picture, I imagine you are talking in absolute terms? Or maybe you are an outlier and are paying a higher tax burden than the average person in your bracket is?

Keep in mind, the tax rate above is taking into account pretty much everything: Federal income taxes, payroll taxes, state income taxes, sales taxes, property taxes, etc.

36. grover says

Flat tax only works in the USA if you can magically get every state & municipality to revoke their income taxes and – more importantly – their sales taxes!

Oh, and let’s not forget the dividend & capital gains concessions for the rich…

@admin
    Thanks for the compliments; sometimes I just get inspired and write until I run out of things to say. This was one of those times, I guess. And just to clarify, I wasn’t accusing you or anyone else here of advocating a per capita tax to fund the national economy; as you mentioned, it would be horribly, horribly regressive, and almost nobody would support it. I was merely attempting to make a point about fairness: it’s in the eye of the beholder.

Although, it’s worth mentioning that per capita taxes are used, albeit in much smaller sums, and that’s one reason why lower income earners can end up paying a larger percentage of their income toward taxes. A $100 per capita tax represents 1% of a $10,000 a year income, but only 0.1% of $100,000 and 0.01% of $1,000,000. A few taxes like that, and suddenly the bottom wage earner is paying out a sizable portion of his income while higher earners, even if said higher earners are paying a higher marginal tax rate. Add in the fact that higher income people usually derive a larger portion of their income from investments (which tend to have associated tax benefits), and it’s easy to see how the percentage paid out in taxes is almost the same for all income brackets over $40,000, as MLR notes.

What you ask has been touched on by many over the years. Steve Forbes has been pushing this as well. A flat tax was calculated to require about 17% rate or so to replace the current revenue. But the questions are opened up, any deductions? Mortgage interest? What do you do with capital gain rates?

Another consideration – VAT tax or a consumption tax. I think there’s an untaxed economy that can be a source of revenue. Illegal activities go untaxed, right. But the drug dealer or prostitute spend like any of us. A consumption tax add revenue right when the money is spent. I don’t know the right percent for this to work and eliminate income tax, but it sure simplifies the system. People who earn under $X can apply for a credit to offset a portion of this tax. Anyone over that level or who just doesn’t want to fill the form out has no return at all.
    Savings is tax free, going in and coming out until spent.
    Of course, there are problems with this as well. No doubt.

Hi JoeTaxpayer – Thnx for your thoughts. Funny story. I sat right next to Steve Forbes on Dragon Air from Shanghai to Hong Kong about 5 years ago. We talked a little bit about the Flat Tax, and he’s the main guy to get me thinking about the plan.

It’ll be interesting to see how the VAT tax evolves, as I saw the recent news headlines. I’m a big proponent of mega taxation on the Big Tobacco company’s corporate earnings, as well as the end products they produce. Since demand is relatively inelastic, instead of a $5 pack of Marlboro’s, why not slap on a $15 tax to make it $20? Save lives and reduce polution.

Legalizing marijuana is another thought, and is a whole blog post debate on itself.

thnx for stopping by!

FS

39. BG says

@admin
    What!?! You want to tax tobacco products out of existence @ $20 a pack, and in the same breath you want to legalize marijuana? You do realize that the price of cigarettes has grown faster than gold — solely due to taxation. In the past 20 years gold has doubled, yet the price per pack of smokes has increased nearly 8 fold.

I say we start slapping huge taxes on people who attend golf tournaments…

40. BG says

@admin
    You may want to tax the hell out of “early death causing products”, but then you better have a _real_good_ plan for fixing Social Security and Medicare since people will start living longer (presumably in your mind).

I wonder how many smokers, eventually end up _not_ dieing of a smoking related illness… My guess is the vast majority of smokers die of something unrelated to smoking anyway. Anyhow, smoking is taboo, so of course it is already taxed into oblivion.

Hey BG – Good point. Yeah, that’s a financially bad unintended consequence if we tax the heck out of “early death causing products.” How ironic causing longer lives leads to greater financial problems for the system!

Smoking is a great topic. Thanks for reminding me of this post. To give you a preview, I think smokers are the strongest people on earth! Whuh? Stay tuned. FS

Oh btw BG – Did you know the greatest savers in America are those between ages 24-34? It’s because this age group doesn’t believe Social Security will exist when they retire, hence, aren’t counting on it! FS

This makes way too much sense to come to fruition without intense and continual war against the current gov’t system.

Arguing that it’s commonsensical to the gov’t doesn’t matter because in doing so you are assuming they care if it makes common sense. They don’t care. Quite the opposite actually, they are doing everything in their power to take as much of our money as they can without us knowing what is really going on.

In the meantime the general American public is concerned with Michael Jackson and Kate Gosselin – and this is no accident either.

Keep uncovering the layers…

@Matt Jabs Awesome! Thanks for the support. You’re right, it’s a lot of smoke and mirrors. The more complicated and convoluted the tax system, the better! It keeps lobbyists and the tax industry gainfully employed.

Who’s Kate Gosselin and MJ? Jk.

Thanks for stopping by Matt!

I am with you in that I am for a flat tax for the most part (I actually am a bigger fan of a national sales tax along with an abolishment of the Federal income tax ala Mike Huckabee but let’s not get started opening that can of worms lol).

However, I do have to say that I can certainly see the merit in the Government doing certain things (aka tax breaks) to incentivize certain types of behavior. Some of these current tax incentives include the deduction for mortgage interest (to encourage home ownership), lower rates for long term capital gains (to encourage people investing for the long term – which by the way is what skews Warren Buffet’s overall tax % so low), etc. etc.

All of these types of tax break incentives serve to put out what is in effect the opposite of a flax tax though so I am somewhat torn (although one thing that has always seemed ridiculous to me is when people advocate a progressive tax system so that the rich business owner that makes a lot of money but is the one that creates new jobs for everyone else should be taxed more than the person that makes less money but does little to contribute to the economy except for purchasing a new car every 5 years and a new TV every couple years – i.e. give a business owner a tax break and they use the money to hire more workers and help create wealth for everyone – give a lower income worker a tax break and theybuy a new flat screen TV…)

CC Chaser – Well said! Give small business owners tax cuts so they can hiring more people and allow all to prosper!

I actually would reall like to learn more about the national sales tax argument concomitant with the abolishment of the Feder Income tax! I love learning about new stuff and read new arguments for things.

Without new perspectives, we grow stale and boring!

Thnx for stopping by. FS

@admin
    I don’t think believing that cigarettes should be heavily taxed AND that marijuana should be legalized is inconsistent. It’s what I believe, for example. My logic is simple: the current system cuts down on consumer choices (often leaving a single, gang-protected provider in a neighborhood), prevents regulation of available product, leads to insane mark-ups, AND sends all the profits overseas. If even ONE of these conditions happened with a product that didn’t happen to make people high, there’d be a hue and cry like you couldn’t believe from all quarters to change the policy, and pronto.

To my mind, it seems much better to legalize all the currently illegal drugs and allow them to be sold openly. You can still regulate where and how they are sold (as is currently done with alcohol and tobacco products), as well as slapping taxes on them to discourage their use/increase tax revenues. But now the profits will go to law abiding citizens (and the government through taxes) rather than to Columbian cartels and other criminal organizations. (I would suggest dividing the drugs into tiers, with the increasingly dangerous drugs (heroin, crack, etc.) requiring higher ages/heavier taxes/a thorough physical before being used, to attempt to limit the number of unprepared youths who end up partaking and perhaps dying needlessly.) For the record, I’m neither a smoker, nor have I ever used any recreational drugs; I’m simply making a few policy suggestions.

Also, the most prominent example of a national sales tax (the one which I believe CC Chaser is alluding to, is the Fair Tax. You can read up on their pitch at fairtax [dot] org, although they are various criticisms of the plan which, as you might guess, are not included on the official site. It’s worth taking a gander before you read the rest of my post, as most of it is directed toward some shortcomings of said Fair Tax.

@Credit Card Chaser
    I’m somewhat neutral on the Fair Tax (and related all-sales tax pitches). It’s not perfect (if nothing else, this discussion should highlight that every tax plan, no matter how logical or well thought out, has its flaws), but it has potential. My biggest reservations with it would be that (a) people who earn less have to spend a larger portion of their income to supply food, shelter, heat and light to themselves and their families, so it would tend to be a recessive tax*, (b) it provides even greater incentive for people to go to the black market for their purchases, to avoid the sales tax on items they want, (c) it’s harder to target government incentives, particularly to specific types of income-generating activities (like investing) without an income tax that varies according to how the income is earned, and (d) the plan to not tax business expenses and used goods strikes me as ripe for abuse. (For example, I use my computer to type in my blog, pulling in a small, but real, income. Can I buy my next computer (and all the assorted accessories) tax-free as a result? How do you determine what is and isn’t a business? How do you prevent businesses from buying goods and then selling them to private citizens as used, avoiding taxes altogether? For a plan that promises to decrease the amount of paperwork we need to do at tax time, they’re certainly setting up quite a few promises that will need to be watched carefully.)

Furthermore, the Fair Tax also creates the incentive for persons and corporations to earn money in the US, but then transfer it overseas to spend it, avoiding taxation. (Heck, one of their selling points is that it will make all products, foreign and domestic made, more expensive in the US, but US products will be cheaper elsewhere.) How that would not lead to executives and other high income earners drawing their income from American based companies but live abroad to avoid paying any US taxes (decreasing the tax base and requiring higher taxes if we’re shooting for a revenue neutral plan), I just don’t know. And that’s before we even get into the fact that most other countries aren’t going to be happy if we tax the hell out their products here but expect them to sell our goods at the MSRP without adding their own taxes.

Are these enough to completely overwhelm the advantages of the Fair Tax or another national sales tax? Maybe not, but I’ve yet to hear any suggestions on how to minimize them that I could really get behind. A modified version of the Fair Tax might get my support, but until these issues are resolved, it remains more a curiousity to me than a real alternative to the current income tax system.

(*Yes, yes, the Fair Tax, in particular, includes a ‘prebate’, wherein an amount of money equal to the tax on the current poverty line is sent out to everyone in the country. If you earn twenty-thousand a year and spend it all under a Fair Tax system, you would have spent 23% of your money on taxes (as the Fair Tax people calculate it, which gets a bit funky), so about $4600. However, you would also get money to cover the Fair Tax equivalent to what would be paid on a poverty-level income. So, if the poverty line is at $10,000, you would get $2300 in prebate money from the government, bringing your real tax burden down to 11.5% of your income. Since the prebate amount is the same, no matter how much you make, the Fair Taxers argue that it will make the whole thing progressive.

There is a flaw with this argument, though. Because the tax is decoupled from earnings, there’s no way to ensure that it will be progressive in practice. If high earners are able to spend a lower percentage of their incomes than low earners (a very real possibility, as my comments on utility will testify), the progressiveness of the tax disappears, and it becomes regressive. And that’s before you add in the fact that, as mentioned above, some (or all) of the higher earners’ spending could be moved offshore, decreasing the real percentage that is paid by them. If you want to ensure that a tax is progressive, or even flat, it has to be fixed in some meaningful way to the amount of income earned, not the amount spent.)

Alright, that’s enough of me; I’ve already set the record for longest post here, I don’t want to top it already. Hopefully, my tangent on a point that you didn’t even mention in your post wasn’t too annoying.

Hi Roger – Actually, I think taxing the hell out of cigarettes and legalizing marijuana is perfectly consistent from a tax generation point of view. This will be a good new topic to debate shortly! It’s in the que! :) FS