Online shopping is the only way to shop today. Not only do you get the best deals online, you also get everything delivered to your door.
If you know what you want, have read reviews or tried out the product in person, then online shopping is the way to go. Besides, with worries about the coronavirus everywhere we go, it's best to stay safe and shop online instead.
My wife and I shop for everything online, especially since we are now Amazon Prime members. We decided that in order to save time once our baby was born, we'd concentrate all our shopping online and use a rewards credit card to really rack up the rewards points.
Not only do we do all our shopping online with a credit card, we've also increased our usage of food delivery as well. Once you become a parent, it's all about trying to gain back as much time, energy, and money as possible!
Finally, shopping with a credit card is safer online because credit cards have stronger fraud protection. If you buy something that was falsely advertised, you aren't held liable. I've used buyers protection with my credit card multiple times before, and it feels awesome to have the credit card company fight for your interests.
Key Features Of A Online Shopping Credit Card
We're highlight five of the top online shopping credit cards that each demonstrate all three of these key features:
- Fraud Protection: The best credit cards these days have a $0 fraud liability clause that lets you off the hook for any fraudulent charges. Since your credit card number is more vulnerable when you use it online, this is a great protection to look for in a credit card for shopping online.
- Great Rewards: My favorite type of credit card for general usage is a cash back rewards credit card. Cash is great because you can use cash for anything and everything, including paying down your statement. A great online shopping credit card usually has extra bonuses for shopping online.
- Enticing Introductory Bonuses: Great bonuses include 0% introductory APR offers for 12 months and cash bonuses when you spend a certain amount after a specific period of time. All the best online shopping credit cards have the best introductory bonuses.
The Best Online Shopping Credit Cards
1) Amazon Prime Rewards Signature Visa
If you are an Amazon Prime member like we are, then the Amazon Prime Rewards Signature Visa card is the card for you. Not only do you get all the perks of the Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card, you also get a massive 5% cash back on all Amazon.com purchases and purchases at Whole Food Markets.
We now shop at Whole Foods Market every week using Amazon Prime Now delivery with our Amazon Prime Rewards Signature Visa card because the food is healthier and higher quality. Amazon bought Whole Foods for $13.4 billion on August 28, 2017 and has lowered prices and added great value for its members.
The Amazon Prime Rewards Signature Visa card also offers 2% cash back at restaurants, gas stations, and drugstores, as well as 1% cash back on all other purchases. You'll also get a $70 Amazon gift card upon approval.
There is no annual fee for the card, but to qualify for this card, you have to maintain an eligible Prime membership.
Learn more and apply to the Amazon Prime Rewards Signature Card here.
2) Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card
The Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card is my favorite cash back rewards credit card because it gives you some of the best rewards points and a great amount of protection when traveling internationally.
Capital One Quicksilver credit card offers unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase. A 1.5% cash back percentage is 50% higher than the typical cash back credit card on the market today.
If you are a budget conscience rich person or are an aspiring rich person, the Capital One Quicksilver is a great choice because it has a $0 annual fee.
Here are the latest features of the Capital One Quicksilver offer.
- Current Offer: 0% introductory APR for purchases for the first 15 months from account opening
- Welcome Bonus: $200 early spend cash bonus after you make $500 on purchases in the first 3 months.
- Annual Fee: None. A $0 annual fee is attractive for those of you who have net worths closer to $500,000 than $3,000,000.
- Peace of Mind Features: Enjoy earning 1.5% unlimited cash back on every single qualifying purchase, with no expiration in sight. For example, if you spend $6,000 booking flights and hotels to Hawaii with your family, you get a nice $90 back that can be used for entertainment, food, or baying down your credit card bill.
3) Chase Freedom Unlimited Credit Card
Our third choice for the best credit cards for online shopping is the Chase Freedom Unlimited credit card. It has a 15-month 0% intro APR for purchases paired with flexible cash back rewards and a lot of other perks.
The Chase Freedom Unlimited credit card also offers an introductory $200 bonus after you spend $500 in the first 3 months of opening an account.
Plus, you get an unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase you make using your card. I’ve been a client of Chase for over 10 years and am a big fan of their card offerings. Here are Freedom Unlimited's best features:
- Great cash back percentage: Earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on all purchases
- Annual fee: $0
- Sign up bonus: Get a $200 bonus after you spend $500 in the first 3 months
- Bonus cash back categories
- 5% cash back on travel purchased in the Chase Ultimate Rewards® portal
- 3% cash back dining at restaurants and eligible delivery/takeout
- 3% cash back on eligible drugstore purchases.
- Rewards expiration: None as long as your account is open.
- 0% APR for the first 15 months
- Credit score needed: good to excellent
- No minimums to redeem for cash back
Get Max Benefits With An Online Shopping Credit Card
Not only will you get the best deals shopping online, you'll also get the best rewards benefits if you use one of my hand-picked best online shopping credit cards in this article. I've spent hours surveying dozens if credit cards to pick only the best of the best for you.
Always remember to take advantage of credit cards and not the other way around. Always pay your balance in full each month after the 0% introductory APR offer is over. Utilize your cash back and rewards points when you can. Most of all, only buy the things you truly need!
Happy online shopping!
Pay off Your Debt Faster With A Personal Loan
If you don’t have enough cash, getting a personal loan from Credible is a good place to start. If you have expensive credit card debt, consider consolidating your debt into a lower interest-rate personal loan.
Credible has the most comprehensive marketplace for personal loans. Lenders compete for your business so you can get the best rate. Get personalized prequalified personal loan rates in just two minutes after you fill out an application.
About the Author:
Sam worked in investment banking for 13 years at GS and CS. He received his undergraduate degree in Economics from The College of William & Mary and got his MBA from UC Berkeley. In 2012, Sam was able to retire at the age of 34 largely due to his investments that now generate roughly $250,000 a year in passive income.
He spends most of his time playing tennis and taking care of his family. Financial Samurai was started in 2009 and is one of the most trusted personal finance sites on the web with over 1.5 million pageviews a month.
For further suggestions on saving money and growing wealth, check out my Top Financial Products page.
In addition, if you enjoyed this article and want to get more personal finance insights and tips, please sign up for the free Financial Samurai newsletter. You’ll get access to exclusive content only available to subscribers.
Disclosure: Credible Operations, Inc. NMLS# 1681276, “Credible.” Not available in all states. www.nmlsconsumeraccess.org.