If there’s ever a time to have the ideal body weight, it’s during a global pandemic! All the studies have shown that those who are overweight or obese have a much tougher time combatting the coronavirus. If you want to live, then you should shoot to be as fit as possible.
I went to workout on New Year’s day to lose some weight I gained during the holidays. I got a sweaty two hour tennis match in and then hit again with my buddy for another 1.5 hours the very next day. I’m not delusional to think that after two days I would lose any amount of weight, but I stubbornly got on the scale before and after anyway.
Hoping to see a loss of a at least a pound due to less water weight, the damn scale betrayed me. In two days, I had gained 5 pounds from 164 lbs to 169 lbs! How the hell does someone gain 3% more body weight in just 48 hours. I didn’t gorge myself during this period, so I’m at a loss for words. I could blame the flashing “battery” signal on the scale, but that’s just an excuse.
At slightly over 5 feet 10 inches tall, 169 lbs is a lot to carry on the tennis court. Allen Iverson of the 76ers was my height (listed as 6 feet), but could easily dunk and weighed only 155 pounds for example. Kei Nishikori, a professional tennis player is also my height and weighs 155 pounds.
Ever since that trip to India 11 years ago, my weight hasn’t fluctuated more than 4-7 pounds (162-169lbs). But, now I’m dangerously close to breaking this 11 year record with all the crap I’ve been eating. I feel guilty because in high school, I was a trim 150-155 lbs. Further, I also feel guilty because I’m disrespecting the poverty I witnessed in India.
I don’t accept mediocrity in my work. My goal has been to always be the best at everything I try. Therefore, why the hell do I accept being overweight and mediocre in my health? Makes no sense at all.
Mission To Achieve The Ideal Weight
I don’t want to be another big blogger. My field has a disproportionate amount of folks who can’t run 3 consecutive miles even if an angry three-legged bear was roaring after them. As a result, I am swearing to myself and to all of you today that I will get in ideal shape in 2016.
So what is the ideal body weight for someone of my height with a mid-sized frame? There are numerous amounts of calculators which determine what you should weigh.
Based on an average of four sites I checked out (healthstatus.com, halls.md, healthcentral.com, healthdiscovery.net), Healthdiscovery.net’s estimates look to be the most accurate and reasonable. One site had a lower range of 129 lbs as a healthy weight for someone my height. Maybe the starvation look is in?
As you can tell from the chart, at 169 lbs I’m about 6-18 lbs overweight for my medium size frame. I’d like to think that because I have large quads due to tennis, I’m not that much overweight. However, that’s just another stupid excuse! It annoys me that for 11 years I thought that weighing 162-169 was a good weight.
After checking out all these sites, I now realize I’m just wrong and my doctor lied to me when he said I’m fine. 15% body fat is double where I was 20 years ago and is also at the high-end of the 8%-18% “acceptable” range. Don’t coddle me like a western parent, doc! I can handle the truth.
The Ideal Body Weight For Men By Height And Frame
|Height in Feet&Inches||Small Frame||Medium Frame||Large Frame|
Ideal Body Weight For Women By Height And Frame
|Height in Feet&Inches||Small Frame||Medium Frame||Large Frame|
Definition of medium-frame: Your middle finger and thumb just touch when you hold your wrist. You are large-framed if your fingers do not touch. You are small-framed if your fingers overlap.
My Weight Loss Goal
From today forward, my mission for 2021 is to get under 162 lbs and be firmly in the band of “ideal weight.” I was ideal weight in high school, and almost 20 years later, I plan to be back there again. For 11 years, I’ve been complacent in staying the same weight. Well I am stupid and lazy for being so complacent.
Why the hell should I be proud of staying overweight for the past 11 years? That is not an accomplishment at all! That’s 11 years of mediocrity! I haven’t pushed myself, except for being mindful of the starvation of others. I need to do better and here’s how:
What I’ll Do To Lose Weight
* For every two hours I spend online writing, I will spend 30 minutes exercising. So long as I keep this 4:1 mental-to-physical ratio, I will at least not blow out. I regularly am online 20 hours a week, therefore I will exercise 5 hours a week. Simple as apple pie with vanilla ice cream on top.
* I will do 60 push-ups and 150 sit-ups for every basketball and football game I watch. Watching sports is the worst for an athlete, because it’s a double negative. Instead of playing sports ourselves, we’re rotting away our bodies and our minds. It’s bad that I’m a college sports fanatic.
* I will eat more slowly to give my body time to know that I have eaten. It takes 15-20 minutes for the body to know one is full. Hence, that 15-20 minutes is a crucial period where one can overeat and gain a lot of weight. The solution is to eat slowly and be mindful of everything I put in my mouth.
* I will eat vegetarian 40% of the time. The system will either be 2 out of 5 meals a day vegetarian, or eat vegetarian 3 days a week. With this mindset, I hope to then average 40% of the time eating vegetarian and more raw foods. Eating vegetarian feels great, is good for digestion, and could very well be cheaper. I will also consciously reduce dairy and sugar from my diet.
* I will stop gorging myself when I go out with clients for lunch and dinner! When things are “free”, it’s easy to order the most expensive and highest caloric item on the menu! This is partly why you don’t want to pay more taxes to the government, because they will spend your money unwisely. Instead of thinking about the most delicious thing on the menu, I’ll consider the most delicious and healthiest items. Perhaps items such as beet salad, mussels in white wine sauce, skinless chicken breasts, lamb chops instead of massive prime ribs, and so forth.
* I will play tennis 3 times a week on average for 2 hours each session. This is automatic, as I’ve had this routine for 3 years. I would play more, but I injured my elbow and shoulder. Hence, a solution is to fix my injury so I can play 4 times a week.
Weight And Health Are Correlated
I used to tell myself that I have more muscles now. Bullshit. I used to blame a slower metabolism on being heavier than normal. Another lame excuse. I used to tell myself that I’m healthier now. Do do brown. I am no longer delusional and am saying NO to weight creep.
157 pounds by 12/1/16 here I come. That’s 11-12 pounds and roughly 7% of my current body weight I plan to lose this year. The ideal body weight pisses me off because it’s so low. In actuality, I’m just pissed off at myself for letting myself go. Being overweight puts a burden on society, who ultimately pays for my extra health care costs through longer wait times and more expensive premiums. But then again, maybe I will die earlier since I’m less healthy, thereby paying less in medical bills! Optimist for life!
Who’s with me in no longer making excuses and getting down to the middle of the ideal body weight for 2016?
Recommendations For Life
Get affordable life insurance. If you have debt or kids, you must get life insurance to protect your family. The pandemic has shown that tomorow is not guaranteed. Check out PolicyGenius, an independent insurance broker that is revolutionizing the way we shop for life insurance – for free!
Answer a few simple questions on PolicyGenius’s website and instantly receive free, personalized and comprehensive life insurance quotes. PolicyGenius provides free, unbiased advice on more than 25 A-rated top life insurance companies they have thoroughly researched and vetted.
Track Your Wealth For Free, In order to optimize your finances, you’ve first got to track your finances. I recommend signing up for Personal Capital’s free financial tools so you can track your net worth, analyze your investment portfolios for excessive fees, and run your financials through their fantastic Retirement Planning Calculator.
Those who are on top of their finances build much greater wealth longer term than those who don’t. I’ve used Personal Capital since 2012. It’s the best free financial app out there to manage your money.
Updated for 2021 and beyond. Health + Wealth = Good Life! Seriously folks, having a lot of money doesn’t come close to having great health. Take care of your body, especially if you have little ones to take care of yourself. I’ve got a 3.5 year old boy and 1 year old daughter now. I plan to live long enough until they are independent adults.