As soon as I got into work one morning, my female colleague blurted out, “OH MY GAWD! GUESS WHAT?! “
“What? Hrmmm,” I replied as I was still groggy eyed after last night’s client dinner.
“I was on the same plane as Gavin Newsom (Mayor of San Francisco) and he sat in economy with me! He is SOO cute and yummy! So tall and handsome, he’s going to do great things for California and our country!” she gushed.
The funny thing is, she was complaining just earlier this year how bad the “Care Not Cash” legislation turned out, and how he was contributing to the big overspend problem we have here in California (we’re broke).
I can still clearly remember how mad she and her friends were when the story broke that Gavin cheated on his wife with his campaign manager’s wife! YOWZA! Gavin was the next Bill Clinton!
Phrases such as: “Men are pigs!” “Men only think with their smaller head!” “You guys disgust me so no, you can’t have some of my salad!”, were bantered around the office for weeks. My friend was a hater for life! Even the guys on our floor, who usually joke about stuff like this were shocked.
So what really happened between now and then, to make my colleague fall head over heels in love with Gavin Newsom? Furthermore, how is it that after violating a key “MAN CODE” (don’t sleep with your friends girlfriend/wife) does he get re-elected soundly, and has a popularity rating higher than ever?
5 REASONS WHY GAVIN GETS AWAY:
1) Presence. Admittedly, Gavin is pretty damn good looking, speaks eloquently, and has a lot of confidence.
2) Fame. Gavin is famous, and I’m pretty sure he will become the Governor of California one day and perhaps more.
3) Money. Gavin is a multi-millionaire, thanks to his own initiatives, and his friendship with the billionaire Getty family.
4) Care. It’s pretty evident Gavin cares for the people of San Francisco and wants to help the poor. His “Care Not Cash” may not be the most efficient use of resources, but his intentions are good.
5) Memory. People have short memories. Even the most heinous of acts seem to lose it’s intensity after time. I mean, when our pet rabbit peed on the Persian carpet I was pissed! But, I forgave him and still fed him hay and treats. Pet the bunny.
CONCLUSION – Gavin
So there you have it folks. If you screw up in life, don’t worry because you aren’t alone! All you have to do is be handsome or pretty, speak eloquently, own a lot of small businesses that bring in millions, have powerful friends, and be famous! Seriously though, what matters most is being repentive and showing those you’ve hurt you’re doing everything you can to correct your wrong doings.
Gavin went to alcohol abuse class and apologized to everyone profusely. He then committed himself further to the public and fought for equal rights by campaigning against Proposition 8. It certainly helps to have money and power, but the most important thing is having genuinely good intentions. With the right intentions and with enough time, all will be forgiven!
Readers, why do you think rich and powerful people tend to stray so often? Or, is it because they are under so much media scrutiny, it just seems like they do?
Do you think those who are in power or are famous should be held to a different standard? Is it fair that they seem to get away with everything?
Why doesn’t the media highlight women who cheat? Is there no such thing? After all, doesn’t it take a woman for a man to cheat, generally?
If you were rich and famous, don’t you think temptations would be greater given the greater opportunities?
Update 2020: Gavin is now the Governor of California! He has been supported by very wealthy and powerful friends all this time.
Financial Samurai – “Slicing Through Money’s Mysteries”
Follow us on Twitter @FinancialSamura and subscribe to our RSS feed!