Want affordable life insurance? Life insurance is very affordable if you know the right way to compare life insurance policies and where to shop. We’ll show you how to get free quotes securely online for cheap life insurance with the best companies today.
In addition, in this article you will learn about the importance of affordable life insurance, when to get affordable life insurance, how long to have it, how much to have, where to get affordable life insurance, and how to buy it.
Now that you’re dying to know the best way to get affordable life insurance, we’ll tell you. It’s with PolicyGenius, a leading online life insurance marketplace! Policygenius has licensed, unbiased experts who help you get the best, most affordable life insurance policy that most appropriately suits your needs.
Utilize Technology To Get Affordable Life Insurance
Policygenius has the technology and know-how to locate the best policies and prices with dozens of top carriers for your needs. And they do this all for free! You can get all the details in our extensive Policygenius review. We’ve summarized the key points below.
It’s both efficient and safe to search for affordable life insurance on Policygenius. The nation’s top carriers compete for your business all in one place. And your personal information is safe and secure.
Policygenius property vets all of the life insurance carriers they feature to make sure they are the most reputable and financially stable carriers today so you don’t have to.
The company was founded in 2014 by Francois de Lame and his partner Jennifer Fitzgerald, ex-Mckinsey Consulting professional who went to Harvard Business School. I’ve met them both, and they are great.
The Importance Of Affordable Life Insurance
Life insurance is extremely important if you have debt and dependents. It’s helpful to know the many benefits of life insurance when you are searching for an affordable policy.
Now let’s go through the below questions and we’ll further explain the best way to get cheap life insurance.
- When should you get life insurance?
- How long of a life insurance term should you get?
- How much life insurance should you get?
- What’s the best way to compare costs of life insurance policies with different amounts and terms?
- Where is the best place to get affordable life insurance?
When To Get Cheap And Reliable Life Insurance
The general recommendation is to get life insurance when you are younger, so you lock in a lower fixed price. But the reality is everything is priced in. Young, healthy adults get the best pricing. But, they may pay for more years than someone who gets life insurance at an older age.
Here are the main questions you should ask before getting life insurance in the first place.
- Do I have people depending on my income to survive? A non-working spouse, children, and retired parents who need financial support are the most common dependents.
- Will my debt be a burden on those I leave behind? The most common type of debt is mortgage debt. Other important debt to consider is high interest consumer debt. The larger your debt and the smaller your equity, the wiser it is to get life insurance.
- Will I die early or before my dependents have a chance to become independent? Males die earlier than females. Meanwhile, if you have a history of health problems, you may likely die earlier than those dependent who are healthier.
Term Life Is The Most Popular Type Of Life Insurance
If you answered “YES” to any of these questions, then you should get affordable term life insurance.
With term life insurance, you purchase a policy for a set timeframe. It’s typically in the range of 10 to 30 years. During that term you pay premiums to keep your coverage active. If you die during the term, your beneficiaries receive a death benefit.
If you don’t die during the term — the preferred outcome — your coverage ends when your term expires. You don’t get any money back at that point, but you’re still alive and free!
How Long Should Your Life Insurance Term Be?
Given the largest debt for most people is a mortgage, it’s a good idea to match your life insurance term as close as possible to the years remaining on your mortgage.
For example, I had a $960,000 mortgage with 22 years remaining until it gets paid off based on its amortization schedule. As a result, I took out a $1M, 20-year term life insurance policy to cover this debt just in case I die early.
The annual mortgage payment is roughly $53,000 a year ($26,000 goes to principal) along with a whopping $21,000 a year in property taxes and $2,000 a year in home insurance cost.
In other words, if I die, my heir will have to pay $76,000 a year to own the house plus inevitable maintenance expenses. I don’t want my death to have a psychological + financial burden on my family.
Another way to think about your duration matching is to think about how long it will take for you to pay off all your debt. If you plan to pay off all debt within 20 years, a 20-year term life insurance policy is a good choice.
How Much Affordable Life Insurance Should I Get?
When you’re shopping for affordable life insurance, you have to figure out how much to purchase. You should take out as much life insurance as necessary for your survivors to feel comfortable living their life with you gone. Here are some options to consider in terms of how much life insurance to take out.
Most conservative decision: Take out as much life insurance as possible to completely eliminate all debt plus provide money left over to pay for living expenses for the rest of your dependent’s lives. Use a life expectancy of age 100. Take 100 – current age and multiply by annual living expenses e.g. $500,000 debt + 50 years X $100,000 = $5 million term policy.
Conservative decision: Take out as much life insurance to completely eliminate all debt plus provide enough living expenses until the age of 70 when full Social Security benefits get paid e.g. $300,000 debt + 30 years X $80,000 = $2,700,000. Round up and get a $3 million term policy.
Moderate decision: Take out as much life insurance to eliminate all debt and provide for 5-10 years of living expenses, long enough for your dependents to become independent e.g. $500,000 debt + $100,000 X 10 = $1.5 million term policy.
Least conservative decision: Take out just enough life insurance to make sure any assets inherited don’t become a burden. The life insurance should give the recipient enough time to decide what is best to do with the receiving assets. This is my case where the recipient of my house can decide to live in the house, rent out the house, or sell the house to extract the equity.
Riskiest decision: Of course, the riskiest decision of all is to not take out any life insurance when you have dependents and debt. Even if you don’t have debt, having life insurance is important for income purposes. If you have no debt and no dependents, then getting life insurance is probably a waste of money unless you feel you have a greater chance than normal you’ll die before the people you care about and want to provide income for them.
Here’s a chart I put together based on how much each life insurance policy would cost by term and amount.
Affordable Life Insurance Through PolicyGenius
Here is the step-by-step process for getting cheap life insurance on PolicyGenius, the best platform for finding life insurance today.
1. Click on Policygenius.com to find, compare, and buy several types of insurance. For life insurance, click the “life” box. As you can see from the image below, you can get many different types of insurance policies with PolicyGenius. If you’re satisfied with the affordable life insurance you got from them, consider getting insurance for other needs.
2. There’s no commitment required to get quotes for your monthly premium. You won’t have to enter your name, email, and phone number until after you’ve browsed through the policy options. Getting a quote is free.
3. You can choose either “less support” or “more support” from the Policygenius team to navigate the life insurance application. Given you’re getting a free quote, it’s pretty straight forward.
4. Life insurance premiums are based in part on where you live, so the site immediately wants to know your ZIP code so it can find insurers in your area. You’ll also need to provide your gender, date of birth, citizenship status, and relationship status.
If you do have a significant other or spouse, the site will offer to help find quotes for both of you to save some time.
Input Your Basic Information
5. Next you need to provide some basic information about your health: your height, weight, whether you smoke tobacco, whether you have been treated or take medication for depression, high cholesterol, drug abuse, or another serious condition. You’ll also need to disclose any serious medical diagnoses of close blood relatives.
Some of you might have the temptation to fudge this information. It’s really up to you what you want them to know. Your weight fluctuates by several pounds each day. You might feel that your alcohol issue was only temporary and none of anybody’s business.
Just know that if you sought medical treatment for issues, insurance companies will see the records.
Many insurers consider your driving record in determining your risk level, too, so there’s a question regarding accidents and tickets.
The more detailed you are in answering these questions, the more accurate your quotes will be.
6. If none of the serious medical conditions listed apply to you, Policygenius says “you’re in demand” and will probably have some low premiums to choose from.
7. If you answered “yes” to the question about your family’s health history, you’ll be prompted to give more information so that your quotes will be as accurate as possible, though additional details are not required to move to the next step.
Here’s another grey area. What if your grandfather had a stroke at age 76. Is that a risk since the median life expectancy is only 78 years old? I don’t think so, but that’s just me. People get sicker as they get older. I would personally err on the side of privacy here as you and insurance carriers don’t have complete information about your family’s health history.
Choose An Affordable Life Insurance Plan
8. Next, you need to select a coverage amount and term length. Within each box, PolicyGenius provides some guidance to help you choose your coverage amount and term length. You’ll have the opportunity to adjust these numbers later if you change your mind. You might as well play around with the numbers and see what you can afford.
9. The next page will bring up several policy options, organized by the premium. Policygenius highlights the same features of each policy, including financial strength and customer service of the insurer. Policygenius is sure to remind you that any option it’s offering is a good one.
10. From there, you can check the “compare” box on two or more policies to see how they stack up against one another. This is great for making sure you get the cheapest life insurance policy possible.
11. Once you choose a policy, you’re ready to apply. If you feel comfortable with the offer, this is where you fill in your personal information. Again, you don’t pay anything until the policy is approved and goes into effect.
12. Before you can submit the application, you have to provide your address and income for a Policygenius representative to verify.
Once you click “submit,” you’ll see your own dashboard with the status of your application.
13. You should get a call from Policygenius within 5-10 minutes to verify your information. From there, your Policygenius representative will schedule your medical exam, if you get a policy larger than $1,000,000 and sometimes larger than $500,000. If you get a policy under $500,000 it is my experience that no medical exam is necessary.
If you do get a medical exam it’s free. So at least you can find out more about your health for free. If you’re over the age of 40, you should get a physical exam once every two years anyway.
Affordable Life Insurance Is A Must
Getting affordable life insurance is imperative if you have dependents who rely on your income to survive e.g. stay at home spouse, kids, elderly parents.
Many families with children smartly get a term policy that lasts at least through when all their children graduate from college. Life insurance is also important if you have debt that will be difficult to cover by someone else or your estate in case of your death.
Unlike the estate tax, where the government gets to take almost half of every dollar you leave after ~$11.4 million after you die, beneficiaries of life insurance don’t have to pay a cent in taxes.
Life insurance is a gift of love. It doesn’t cost much and it goes a long way to taking care of your loved ones after you are gone. If you have dependents who do not have the ability to earn a livable income and cover your debts, please consider getting life insurance.
PolicyGenius is the best life insurance marketplace today.
Try PolicyGenius Today
If you’re looking for a term life insurance policy because you have depends, bought a home, or simply want reassurance that others will be taken care of in the event of your death, I’d try PolicyGenius to get a free quote.
They make policy comparisons easy. The other way is to go to each insurance company one by one to fill out an application. Given life insurance policy prices are regulated, you can be assured that PolicyGenius will provide the best prices for you all in one place.
About the Author: Sam began investing his own money ever since he opened an online brokerage account in 1995. Sam loved investing so much that he decided to make a career out of investing. He spent the next 13 years after college working at two of the leading financial service firms. During this time, Sam received his MBA from UC Berkeley with a focus on finance and real estate.
About Financial Samurai. FinancialSamurai.com was started in 2009. It is one of the most trusted personal finance sites today with over 1.5 million organic pageviews a month. Financial Samurai has been featured in top publications such as the LA Times, The Chicago Tribune, and Bloomberg.