There is so much truth to the expression simple pleasures are what make life worth living. I was cleaning up my house the other day and realized the best things I've bought were simple and affordable, and have provided years of entertainment.
Here's my list of simple pleasures:
- A pair of Hi-tech hiking boots. Cost: $65. Age: 5 years.
- A Cannondale mountain bike. Cost $250. Age: 7 years.
- A Wilson Basketball. Cost $30. Age: 4 years.
- A Martin acoustic guitar. Cost $350. Age: 10 years.
The great thing about this list of simple pleasures is that pretty much anybody can afford all four or at least one of the four.
How easy it is to strap on a pair of hiking shoes and go for a zen journey into the wilderness. And how nice it is to go for a ride down the back roads without a care in the world.
There are community centers all around with indoor gyms, which are especially convenient during the winter months. Finally, nothing beats strumming a new tune until your fingers go numb.
I think it really is true that simple pleasures bring so much happiness. The best things in life are free, or close to it!
It makes me happy knowing that if I ever had to go back to my old McDonald's job again, my leisure activities won't decline as precipitously as my income.
Readers, what are the inexpensive things you like to do? What are the affordable things you've bought that have provided years of enjoyment? Have a great weekend!
Learn More, Make More Money
Here are some additional resources I’ve put together that will help you on your financial journey to earn more, save more, and hopefully double or triple your income!
- Take advantage of free online financial tools: Free Wealth Management
- Explore my top financial products recommendations
- Learn how much you should aim to have saved in your 401(k) by different ages. The numbers could surprise you.
- Look beyond your salary and start earning passive income. Here are the best passive income streams I recommend.
Stay In Touch
If you enjoyed this article, please sign up for the Financial Samurai Newsletter here to receive exclusive content.
Further, you can subscribe to the Financial Samurai podcast for even more insights and tips.