At long last, I’ve finally decided to buy a personal mobile device to go along with my work Blackberry. I want to keep things separate given it’s important not to mix personal with work in this day of scrutiny. Furthermore, with Yakezie.com now up, it’s important to try and keep in touch at least once during the day with readers over comments, e-mail, and Twitter as opposed to being incommunicado from 7am to 7pm.
I’m currently using a stable 3 year old MacBook with 1.2 GHz of speed, a 160GB hard drive, and 4 GB of memory. My laptop is actually an upgrade from my old iBook G4 with only 512MB of RAM just last Christmas. It’s my hope that I don’t need to change laptops for another 5+ years because I absolutely love what I have. That said, if you are a blogging nerd, which to choose between an iPad 3G and an iPhone 4?
Benefits of an iPad 3G:
* Thin and light with a great big screen for reading.
* A feasible replacement over your existing laptop or netbook.
* Movies are more enjoyable.
* Typing notes and writing in general.
Benefits of an iPhone 4
* Has phone, video, and camera.
* More portable.
* Cheaper at only $199 for the 16GB version.
* Does everything the iPad does and more.
Cons of an iPad 3G:
* Costs $700 before taxes.
* Doesn’t have calling capabilities.
* Doesn’t have video capabilities.
* Can’t make me pizza.
* Can’t attract women.
* Can’t take it everywhere such as the club.
* Essentially, an over-sized iPhone 4without a phone.
Cons of an iPhone 4
* Much harder to type.
* Harder to read.
* You have to pay tax on the unsubsidized iPhone 4 price, which is $600 for the iPhone 16GB! That’s $60 bucks in taxes in California.
* The battery life sucks. With “normal” use, the iPhone loses all power after 7-8 hours no joke.
* Rarely gets me any loving.
WHICH DO YOU CHOOSE?
It seems obvious that if you have a laptop that you enjoy then there’s absolutely no reason to buy an iPad over an iPhone. But what if you also have a phone? Isn’t getting a second phone absolute nonsense? It is, unless your other phone is a work phone, in which case all the data going through that phone is the property of your company.
In the end, I chose the iPhone 4 mainly because it’s cheaper, more portable, and does everything the iPad 3G does and more. The thing is amazing! This is coming from someone who has never had an iPhone mind you. Unless you don’t have a computer at all, I really don’t see why someone would get the iPad. It’s a neat device and 3 million+ have been sold already, but come on. Are we convincing ourselves an iPad is necessity rather than a toy? You know Apple will come up with a new iPad within a year with a phone and camera. By then, the iPad will really just be an oversized iPhone!
Subscribe to the Financial Samurai newsletter by clicking here.
Readers, what would you choose and why? I’m trying to understand why anybody would get an iPad except for the hard core readers out there with long commutes on public transportation and a lot of money to spare.
Sam @ Financial Samurai – “Slicing Through Money’s Mysteries”