Thanks to the invention of blogs and social media, you can intimately feel the summer malaise upon us. To participate in the change in moods, I’ll be lightening things up a little bit. I’m switching gears for the summer.
I’ve always been kind of a joker. Just check out my April Fool’s joke on buying a mega dream house. All this structured writing with beginning, middle and end is oh so well….. structured! Also, to invoke Ralph Ellison’s Invisible Man from AP English class is going to the extreme of stiffness, right? I’m not sure many really connected with the reference at all.
Who wants to read about the struggles of an African American man in the oppressive 1950s when everything is so hunky dory and harmonious nowadays. I do, but I think most others don’t. Does anybody even read the classics anymore?
A little Slaughterhouse V by Kurt Vonnegut or Crime & Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky anybody? Yeah, maybe 20 years ago, but not now. Now, all we read are gossip magazines and blogs with bad punctuation (yours truly) that tickle our guts with spurts of information.
Switching Gears For The Summer
Hence, from now until the end of August I’ll be switching gears for the summer. Or throwing a little wasabi on the teriyaki as they say in Japan. I just made that up, but thought it sounded good. You might read a little more rambling and a lot less structure as I attempt to change writing styles. The Yakezie.com project is well underway and now is my time to goof around a little bit.
HIGHLIGHT POSTS OF THE WEEK
* “Mountain West Is The Best” by Jeff. Great to see fellow bloggers challenge my assumption that there really is no comparison to West Coast living! I’m just stating my unequivocal, unbiased opinion why everybody should live and work out West for a better lifestyle.
All I really want to see are those who object to my truth and stand up for themselves! Be proud of where you come from and where you’ve established roots! Don’t let some guy who undeniably loves where he lives pollute your mind with sunshine!
* “Job Hurdles With Potential Holes Behind Them” by Don-san highlights something I failed to highlight in “Overcoming The Wall” with regards to progressing in the workplace. It’s important to have a manager who is secure with his or herself! If the manager is fearful of what his subordinates can do, then he’s going to oppress you! In this type of situation, I’d look for another job fast. Get your resume in the best shape possible with these best resume examples.
Don’t Get Stuck In A Rut, Switch Gears
* “Find Out When You’ll Make A Million Calculator” by Monevator is a quick and easy plug and push tool. It’s important that people don’t get overly caught up with how inflation will erode your assets. Having a million dollars is a million dollars!
Don’t let investment gurus and yada yada push you into investing in riskier assets so you can keep up and beat inflation. You’re letting them fear monger you to investing in something you wouldn’t otherwise invest in! Low inflation is here to stay, as I’ve indicated time and time again on this site.
If you are happy with a 3-5% 5-7 year CD, then by all means use the “DVD Method To CD Investing!” Know thyself and think thrice before investing in something you aren’t comfortable with.
* “A Discussion With Carrie Schwab-Pomerantz, President of the Charles Schwab Foundation” on Consumerism Commentary. Carrie conducted a very interesting study on the Sandwich Generation and provides her survey findings.
Did you know that Charles Schwab was a failing businessman when Carrie was 20 years old? She didn’t have an allowance. And everything wasn’t a charmed life like some may believe. Her father taught her two things: 1) Importance of having a strong work ethic and 2) Savings.
Here are some additional articles for further reading
- An Inexpensive And Easy Solution To Improving America’s Financial Health
- Are You A Financial Dumb Ass? Be Honest With Yourself To Get Rich
- How To Value A College Education To Help An Abysmal Net Worth
- You Are Already Wealthy, Stop Complaining!
- The Privilege Of Giving Back Through Yakezie
Sam @ Financial Samurai – “Slicing Through Money’s Mysteries”