We all suffer from financial insecurity to some degree because society can be cruel and the future is always unknown. Financial insecurity is the reason why we tend to stay in cash long after the signs of a recession are over. Financial insecurity is the reason why we work long after we need to because we fear some financial disaster might wipe out all our wealth. Financial insecurity is why we buy insurance!
In a positive light, being financially insecure helps us become more financially secure because we take action to get rid of such an uncomfortable feeling. But after a certain point, financial insecurity may become debilitating – ruining relationships, limiting potential, and creating a sea of regret.
Here are some signs you might be overly insecure about your finances:
* You constantly tell others how much you make for the purpose of making yourself feel better.
* You crave constant adoration or at least reaffirmation that you aren’t one of your insecurities e.g. weight, education, product.
* You enjoy constantly checking yourself out in the mirror, taking selfies, and posting pics of yourself for all to see. There’s a correlation between physical fitness and financial health.
* You sometimes lie awake at night, unable to sleep because you’re worrying about your liabilities or potential liabilities.
* You buy nice cars, fancy clothes, expensive jewelry, and nice watches to show off your wealth or make up for shortcomings.
* You have multiple-years of living expenses saved away, but still work at a job you hate in order to save more money you don’t need.
* You feel your friends are all more successful than you, despite having an income or net worth well within in the top 25% for your age.
Let’s see if we can provide some help to a reader who writes in about his financial insecurity!