So far over $7 million has been raised to help Haiti by just texting the word “HAITI” to 90999. You’ll get a confirm receipt from your mobile carrier once sent. Please consider donating!
This week on Financial Samurai, we’ll share our thoughts on the latest government rhetoric, highlight a guest post by Flexo, introduce a new fun challenge, and perhaps discuss one of the key things to consider for job seekers.
THE SAMURAI FUND UPDATE: +3.85% vs. S&P 500 +1.88% as of Friday, Jan 15th. 203 basis points of outperform puts us in the Top Tier of all funds.
Stars: Lenar +25%, Toyota +8%, GE 9%, Harmon +7.4%,, Calgon +7%, Big Lots +7%.
Dog Poops: Lumber Liquidators -7%, Berkshire -1.6%, Steris -1.25%, ABM -1%, Monsanto -1%.
Looks like there’s some good demand from new entrants, and investors who want to give us several hundred million more to build new positions! Contributors, please provide an update on your name in the TSF page above, especially if your name is sucking wind. Will be making room for new names in February.
Week In Review: Let’s Help Haiti
It’s estimated 3 million people in Haiti were affected. And several hundred thousand people died in the tragedy. Haiti is asking for emergency aid to help survivors.
SAMURAI WEEK IN REVIEW
* People now realize that converting to a ROTH IRA is pretty ridiculous as Kevin M reminds us that the first $18,700 (equivalent to $470,000 in pre-tax funds at 4%) you withdraw from your retirement funds is tax free.
Meanwhile, JoeTaxPayer highlights that if you retire with $2.17 million in today’s dollars, you only have to pay 15% tax! You’ll have to retire with more than $5 million dollars to average a 25% tax rate, based off a 4% income return.
$5 million is only 50X your $100,000 “average” income. Always good to dream big for those of you who’ve justified your ROTH IRA contributions. Joe, you made my day!
* Family seems to be the number one reason why people choose to freeze during the winter, and melt during the summer. FYI, it is possible to make friends in paradise folks. It’s also possible for your family to fly out and visit you on the beach. If you’re miserable, don’t limit yourself! Just think about how much easier it is to travel now vs. 300 years ago.
* The “Get Financially Naked” book giveaway ends on Saturday, January 23rd. It’s a great little book for couples who feel they need some help in improving their communication as it relates to finance. With all our book giveaways, we’d like to share them with those who’d like and need them the most.
* Americans really shouldn’t complain about our finances since we’re wealthier than 99% of the rest of the world. That said, it’s all relative, and if everybody is wealthy, then it’s really hard to feel special. The key seems to be to amass your wealth, and move elsewhere!
- Earthquake Disaster In Virginia Has People Fleeing And Californians Wondering “Huh?”
- Is It Better To Give Randomly Or Selectively?
- Improving At Golf Is Like Improving At Life: Impossible After Awhile!
- The S&P And Deven Sharma Wants To Destroy Your Wealth And Future
- Osama Bin Laden Is Dead: Good Or Bad?
- How To Help Japan Recover From A Terrible Earthquake
Sam Samurai – “Slicing Through Money’s Mysteries”
Follow on Twitter @FinancialSamurai and subscribe to our RSS Feed.